Please test my app!

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
afecelis
Admin

Please test my app!

Post by afecelis »

Hi guys. I just uploaded my version of the splitscreen tutorial.
It's got several interesting there to try out.

Arrow keys to navigate and "F" to toggle fullscreen. Careful, it's pretty hardware demanding so if you run it and things r slow with the 4 screens hit "F" and things should get a bit better. Careful again, when toggling back to splitscreen things will be even slower!!!!

Alt+F4 to quit.

Interesting things in it:
Based on Max Winkel's splitscreen tutorial
Using Zdimitor's My3d format and loader
Music from the Gasoline demo by RECREATION : 'GASOLINE 2' : 2001, composed by Spector
http://www.danielpatton.com/afecelis/sr ... Screen.zip

thnx for any comments!

ps. Source to come out soon!
Last edited by afecelis on Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
erSitzt

Post by erSitzt »

Looks very nice, in splitscreen-mode i got about 60 fps when i start it, but the fps are decreasing over the time (2-3 minutes).
In the end i only got 14 fps

Whats the polygoncount ?
Hardwarespecs in signatures suck !
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

thnx!!!

well, sydney is the typical Irrlicht sydney (342 verts, 679 faces); the level itself (including the pipes) is: verts: 4888, faces: 9688.

the level itself is not too complex for Irrlicht to render. What makes it slower is the dynamic light casting shadows.

When you say "in the end" you mean after toggling fullscreen mode?

thnx for posting. Btw, interesting signature !! :D
bal

Post by bal »

I think there is something seriously wrong. My FPS started at 45 and kept on going down until it went really slow. It's like you add something every frame... In fullscreen mode everything is normal, except for the 40 FPS around the dynamic shadow :). Else on the map I get 70-180 FPS.

Beautiful design btw :).
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

afecelis wrote:thnx for posting. Btw, interesting signature !! :D
Envy, it's a right bastard ;)
jox
Bug Slayer

Post by jox »

Nice, you made Sydney dance! :)

But, yea, it's getting slooooow! When I start and instantly switch to fullscreen I get like 105 fps. But after a while it's getting constantly slower, even without switching to splitscreen. It's going down to about 15 fps. Without doing anything (not even moving around...).
erSitzt

Post by erSitzt »

i checked mem consumption, but it is at approx. 83.000 all the time....
Hardwarespecs in signatures suck !
jox
Bug Slayer

Post by jox »

Yea I checked that too... In the beginig it was going up to over 100MB that I though damn it's got a leak. But then it went and stayed down around that 83 or so...
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

thnx for all the comments guys.

I'm uploading the source so that you guys can check it. Please let me know if there are any leaks, or if anything's wrong with my code.

cheers!

perhaps it might also be a slowdown in the new renderer
Last edited by afecelis on Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

Look nice, but on my pc runs slow -3-5 fps. /Dynamic shadows/
What do you think for node selection in miltiple views :D ?

I lost whole night, but results are fortuitously.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Thanks Etcaptor!

I just uploaded a newer version here:

It hasn't gotten the fps dropdown fixed but I tried to add some additional stuff. This is the first try I play around with event receivers so I know I made a lot of mistakes.

Checking how the "F" key toggles fullscreen on and off I decided to try to add my own stuff, mainly:
M to switch to Maya camera mode
N to return to normal FPS cam
W to switch to wirframe rendering (busy afternoon, huh?)

Now here's the funny part. You'll have to hit the "M" twice to get the Maya cam to work,; same for "N" to get the fps cam to work. Now F is the only one that still works fine, I mean the toggling thing. Finally, W switches to wireframe, but then it never toggles back to textured rendering; so if you guys feel like experimenting with the app, leave "W" for the end, lol!

so I need help again! I'm including my sources in case you can check my main.cpp file, laugh a bit of my errors and give me any hints on how to make evrything toggle properly and improve my coding skills!

so, I'm counting on you, my new friends, I'd appreciate it if you could help me make my test app better!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D

ps. And the rendering still behaves the same! :cry:
Last edited by afecelis on Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

@Etcaptor: I didn't understand your question very well, but I think you were asking what I want the splitscreen thingie for?

well, I want to create my own version of 3dsmax!!!! lol!!!! :D

kidding, but I want to use it to display an architectural project, have it ready for a customer so that he can check it in top, side, and front view, and then if he decides, toggle to full screen and take a walkthru around it!!!

interesting, right?

but I still got a lot to learn. Specially GUI stuff. But I'm getting there, I'm getting there. Today for the first time ever, I understood the API and found some solutions from using it!!! :D That can only mean that my brain is understanding something!!!

so, definitely, for what I want to display performance it's a must, so I'm counting on you guys to beta test my stuff and report everything you guys can!!!

thnx!! and cheers!
Last edited by afecelis on Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

hey guys, it's not that I'm bored or anything, but usually when I'm awake, thinking stuff, most of you are sleeping!!!! So the forums are all for me alone!!!

h ehe hehe !!!

I was thinking, perhaps this test app could be "3dmark 2006" !!!!!

loooooooooooooooooooooolllll :shock: :shock: :shock:
puh

Post by puh »

afecelis: I've found the reason why FPS drops after some time - IParticleEmitter has wrong lifetimeMin and lifetimeMax value (see line 189 of main.cpp) - you have 2020, 2000, e.g. particles never disappear. Just change it to 1000, 2000, and FPS always remains same.

Code: Select all

scene::IParticleEmitter* emb = ps->createBoxEmitter(core::aabbox3d<f32>(-7.00f,0.00f,-7.00f,7.00f,1.00f,7.00f),
			core::vector3df(0.00f,0.03f,0.00f),100,250,
			video::SColor(0,0,255,100), video::SColor(0,255,255,100),1000,2000,0);
Great map, by the way, afecelis, you are the Artist!
mm765

Post by mm765 »

afecelis, when you feel lonely because no one else seems to be awake, visit us in the irc-channel..theres almost always someone awake :D