Finally, a DirectX 10 video driver for Irrlicht

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
hybrid
Admin

Re: Finally, a DirectX 10 video driver for Irrlicht

Post by hybrid »

Well, it's also a question of how far abstracted your high-level API is. Of course you cannot provide a tesselation shader alternative, if none exists. But seeing that this is usually an optimization which will be enabled or disabled even for those platforms that would support them, there's no reason why it would be just bad to have some lacking support here or there. And if things are slower of less detailed due to old hardware that's to be expected by the users anyway.

@fmx: Yes, for me a basic implementation with, say, support of 3/4 of the features shown in the Irrlicht SDK examples would be enough to put it into the core engine. Before that I'd probably host it as another development branch just as the ogl-es drivers (which are to be included into the core in the near future, though, as they are rather feature complete).
3DModelerMan

Post by 3DModelerMan »

A basic D3D11 driver would probably be the best way to go. But if we're going to integrate D3D10/11 then it should use the feature levels support from DX11 to do DX10. And also, DirectX 11.1 is out, so it would be best to use the D3D11.1 SDK to implement it.
That would be illogical captain...

My first full game:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/3DModel ... tor#tipjar
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

dx11.1 is out O.o well indeed the driver should be implemented on the last version of the sdk and use diferent feature lvls
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

Well if DX11.1 is that far allready and DX12 is around the corner, lets just rewrite irrlicht from scratch when that comes out? ;)
bdpdonp

Post by bdpdonp »

As I am not the one doing the work, I am reluctant to say what needs to be done. Windows 8 media is DX 11.1, but in compatibility mode aka desktop even dx8 runs on it fine. It seems between 9 and 11.1 there is a gulf, that would define irrlicht. DX9 and earlier and 11.1 and later. DX10 will fade away as it should along with ME.
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

What are you saying dude? It makes little sense!
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

So has anyone other than myself actually downloaded evandromillian's code and used it for something? See the Screenshot Of The Month July 2011 for details - http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... 20#p253220.

Granyte

Post by Granyte »

i have it on my computer and most of my older project were using it butt then i moved to the SVN
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Can it be used right now? I was thinking it was still too early to be used "as-is"...
fmx

Post by fmx »

christianclavet wrote:Can it be used right now? I was thinking it was still too early to be used "as-is"...
I thought this as well :?
I'm currently playing with Nadro's updated FVF irrlicht but I might look into it
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

yes it can but some project will run into issue
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

Were geometry shader implemented in this driver?

Also anyone tryed using it with the SVN?
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

I sucessfully ported the code from from irrlicht 1.71 to the 1.8 svn.

Idealy i would start working from it to build a functional DX11 driver for irrlicht now i need to understand a couple things.

1. The licensing of the current driver is zlib does that mean that a modified version could be integrated with irrlicht as long as proper credit is given?

2. Nadro built a FVF patch that is suposed to be complete and this driver has a FVF to so what is the status of the FVF patch? is it updated with the rest of the SVN ? and should i work toward integrating the FVF patch with this driver?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Basically yes to all. Nadros SVN branch will closely follow trunk and has far better chances to be integrated into the core engine due to active support by a dev team member. So it's probably a good idea to adapt this driver to the shader pipeline branch (and maybe use that one as a base).
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

Alright i got it to compile fine with the Shader pipeline branch now i need to understand nadro's FVF implementation completly to get the driver working

Also i'm not sure about how it works but currently looking at it it seem like the implementation lack some parameter that would be used for directx10 instancing.