Finally, a DirectX 10 video driver for Irrlicht

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
evandromillian

Post by evandromillian »

Yes, in fact there's only two big differences between DX 10 and 11:

- The draw methods are in device context instead of device
- The resource map method

I see some papers from DICE (Battlefield Bad Company 2) that they ported their engine from DX 10 to DX 11 in only three hours. You are right, these are little differences, don't justify stop all work.

So, go on!!!!!!!!

I will keep everybody informed.
Next generation for Irrlicht!!!!!
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

you do understand that the "porting in three hours" is microsoft dx11 propaganda. They could do it in 3 hours if they had the whole studio up doing the job :)

Anyway, with openGL, it just ports itself. My irrlicht is working on oGL 3.2
ArakisTheKitsune

Post by ArakisTheKitsune »

Even if it's true what you say devsh, then he would need like 1 or 2 week most to port it to DX 11 which is still pretty fast.
Knowledge is power, understanding is wisdom.
roelor

Post by roelor »

DX10 is more widely supported, so I'd guess its best to start with that,
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

DX11 supports DX10 video cards and even exposes extra features - such as Compute Shader 4 on DX10 cards. I would skip DX10 and go straight to DX11.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

if irrlicht is getting funking compute shader, I better start working on OpenCL+openGL interop and a hybrid raytracing demo
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

devsh wrote:if irrlicht is getting funking compute shader, I better start working on OpenCL+openGL interop and a hybrid raytracing demo
Gogo! :P
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

Is this still alive? I'm hoping there haven't been any updates because you've been so busy coding. :P
evandromillian

Post by evandromillian »

Sorry boys, I'm very busy in my job. But I am working on it.

I feel dificulties with Direct2D to 2D graphics, so I will concentrate on another features.
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

evandromillian wrote:Sorry boys, I'm very busy in my job. But I am working on it.

I feel dificulties with Direct2D to 2D graphics, so I will concentrate on another features.
No pressure. We all have lives too. I just don't want to see this project disappear - it has a lot of potential.

I'd assume the community cares less about using Direct2D for the GUI than porting the 3d functionality to DX10. Based on that, I'd say to keep chugging on the 3d functionality and then work on 2d stuff later.
sudi

Post by sudi »

or just do it like irrlicht is doing it currently....using the 3d functions for 2d
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
evandromillian

Post by evandromillian »

Of course, but I really don't know the way to choose for 2D rendering:

- if use Direct2D, we have a context change (little lost of performance) and more objects pointing to texture data (ID2D1Bitmaps and ID2D1RenderTargets).

- if use only Direct3D 10, we have to mantain some separated buffer (that will be used in dynamic geometric anyway) and make some changes in solid shader (or create another only for 2D) to take care of alpha and color key.

In every way, the work will be great, this is clear.

But don't worry, the project is not dead, is just sleeping :D

Thanks for trust int this project!!!!
evandromillian

Post by evandromillian »

Hi people.

Following the development. The dynamic buffers are implemented, so rendering of objects with dynamic geometry work.

Also, I make terrain rendering work, including with LOD, but, I still have a problem with skybox (cause it uses triangle fan, that is deprecated in DX 10), then it is not drawn see:

But, I have a problem with Octree scene node:

Anyone have an idea of what's happens?
ACE247

Post by ACE247 »

On a side note, Why is your FPS soo bad?
The Terrain Render can do like 800FPS in D3D9 and GL 4. Why so slow in D3D10? :shock:
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Irrlicht doesn't support OpenGL 4 :) Only 2.0.
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes