Finally, a DirectX 10 video driver for Irrlicht

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Granyte

Re: Finally, a DirectX 10 video driver for Irrlicht

Post by Granyte »

well it was never working in the first place for dx11 so we will need to fix it one day or an other

if we wait for nadro to finish his interphase he might not exposing feature that could be very usefull simply because he didn't know where they were exposed in DX

also if rtt are not working for a while i'll have to wait for them to work and won't be able to contribute as my main project is way heavily dependant on render targets
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Granyte wrote:Render target are nor working nethier in dx11 nor dx9
I checked the latest revision and example no. 13 works fine in D3D9 mode. RTT in D3D11 seems to be broken, but are you sure that this issue is related to D3D9 too?

As Zerochen mentioned the new interface for RTT will be available in the near future . Current RTT system has high driver overhead and it's not flexible. There is also a problem with IRenderTarget struct blend settings. Blend settings should be only a part of SMaterial, but at now also IRenderTarget contain blend settings. This structure will be removed.

@robmar
Current RTT interface will be removed.

UPDATE:
In the latest revision RTT in D3D11 is fixed.
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
robmar

Post by robmar »

So... does example 13 with RTTs now work with DX11? And if so, I just download the snapshot again to test it?
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Yes
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
robmar

Post by robmar »

Great! So the RTTs work now, are they the old style or the new format?
airc

Post by airc »

thanks for the fix
but RTT the faerie.md2 model looks darker than d3d9 . also example.11 doesn't work, only diffuse lighting works
also in demo example there is no reflection on sydney.md2 model
airc

Post by airc »

in this angle the particles lose the transparency
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

Blending issues are visible on dx9 too ssometimes even the fonts won't be transparent

EDIT: acutaly the dx9 issue seem related to the PNG loader it keeps saying not reconising SRGB profile that has been edited
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Thanks airc and Granyte for the info. At now I'm totally busy with the new render target interface (I hope to finish it in ~2-4 days), but after that I'll check this issue (after the last merge from trunk to shader-pipeline I noticed some issues with libpng and libjpeg).
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

small mesh buffers with no hardware buffer created will crash irrlicht on dx9

also look it's that bug again report 9902381923919231092831092

Code: Select all

MaxTextureUnits = core::min_((u32)Caps.MaxSimultaneousTextures, MATERIAL_MAX_TEXTURES);

it should be

Code: Select all

MaxTextureUnits = core::min_((u32)16, MATERIAL_MAX_TEXTURES);

seriously how many times will I have to report this befor it stop making it's way back into the driver?
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Thanks for a report about a crash.

BTW. I'll fix MATERIAL_MAX_TEXTURES issue after finish current commits :)
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

... every time we set a shader constant the driver upload the whole buffer I changed it to upload only once per draw call
i'll probably change it again to upload only the buffers that have something changed to them so if a constant does not change it would be possible to simply not write to the constant buffer on dx11

I also removed a lot of uneeded parameters from the draw2d3dvertex method and moved some operation higher as they required useless indirection to be done so deep in the pipeline
i'm trying to get the dx11 driver to perform as well as the dx9 one in my project where it currently is half as fast

also there is a memleak in the driver
robmar

Post by robmar »

"half as fast", really? sounds like there is a lot of work to do
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

we it really depend on what you are doing for simple tasks like the irrlicht demo my previous changes made dx11 faster then dx9 but my project is apparently to much to ask
robmar

Post by robmar »

what does your project do/use that loads it so much?