Finally, a DirectX 10 video driver for Irrlicht

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
robmar

Re: Finally, a DirectX 10 video driver for Irrlicht

Post by robmar »

I´ve made considerable patches to the 1.7.3 driver, and fixed bugs and limitations in mesh loaders, so I could at least start testing with DX11, if that is, there was something semi-solid to test.

Can you not just make the best release there is so that at least people can start testing?
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

@robmar: I know nothing about the shader-pipeline except that it's about DX 10, 11. Hybrid and Nadro are the ones that have worked on that. And as long as we haven't 1.9 out it won't be on my list. After that I will take a look because I've heard it changes some core-structures and I know Nadro wants to get rid of the fixed function pipeline for it. Which is both scary to me as it likely breaks my stuff and I don't even like shaders that much.

I don't know what kind of release you expect. All I can do is the same as you - run it through the compiler once. I'm not starting to create nightly-builds for Irrlicht developer branches. If anyone wants to do that I'm glad to give him a link on the front-page so people can find it.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
robmar

Post by robmar »

I´d understood from Grantye that he had already incorporated his driver in earlier releases for testing. I think I downloaded one of them, but on my VS2010 it was listing errors.

May Grantye can advise? Clearly early testing of the DX10 driver with Irrlicht would speed things along.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Maybe, but this is all about the shader branch with which I'm not familiar so far. I'll look at it one day, but for now I just commented in this thread to say I like switching to c++11 after 1.9 release as well. I'm out here again :-)
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

@robmar
Do you need precompiled binaries? I can upload binaries somewhere, however you should try to compile it with the latest Visual Studio (for Win32 apps), it works fine.
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

It's probably just that vs2010 is missing some configuration on the shader pipeline because most of us are not using it robmar just need to either
take a newer one and change de v120 to v90
take the vs2010 solution and add the missing files

If you list your error i'm sure i can guide you to fix them.
robmar

Post by robmar »

So where can I get a newer one? Do you it available as a single zip, as I would really like to start testing.
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

On page 43 is the previous publication I made.

I will try to finish the transparency issues once and for all i'm almost there and wether I succeed or not I will publish my result Saturday or sunday
robmar

Post by robmar »

Okay, I´ll wait to hear, good luck!
masm32

Post by masm32 »

Hi,
I'am interested to use the Irrlicht Engine, because developement of my own Engine takes far to long and I have not the time to finish my Engine. But one point is to be able to use Directx11. So I tested the shader-pipeline branch. I'll compile with VS 2015 and I noticed that the shader for DirectX11 contain some errors, wich prevents the shaders to be compiled.

"cbuffer cbPerFrame : register(c0)\n"\

For Shader Variables c means Buffer Offset. It must be b to be constant buffer.

"cbuffer cbPerFrame : register(b0)\n"\

With this fix Direct3D11 will work.

Maybe this helps someone who is interested.
robmar

Post by robmar »

When you say "work", do you mean "compile", or have you actually built and tested using the samples?
masm32

Post by masm32 »

If I'll change c# to b# (# number), then the shader compiles without this error. I think Visual Studio 2015 introduced some stricter checks. It must be b for constant buffer. With this change the shader compiles and the example works. I have tested this.

I have used a Perfomance Analyser to find the bottleneck of the slow Direct3D11 driver. It says that the most time consuming work is done in the driver. Clearly a sign that there are to many function calls where made (D3D11 Interface).

Unfortunately I don't have much insight knowledge of the Irrlicht engine.
robmar

Post by robmar »

Which shader, which file, which example did you run?

Is this the Irrlicht+DX11 download a few pages back on this thread?

The driver handles all the 3D work, hence the results you see.
masm32

Post by masm32 »

If you read my posts carefully you can get your information.
The Shaders doesn't compile, so you get an exception if you try to execute an example, doesn't matter which one.

There are only 3 Shader in Direct3D11. FIXED_FUNCTION_SHADER as example.
"cbuffer cbPerFrame : register(c0)\n"\ is used in this shader to set cbPerFrame cbuffer to register c0.
The Documentation for HLSL says that c is an offset in a buffer, and b to set constantbuffer.
I wrote that I compile Irrlicht with Visual Studio 2015.

I tested the shader-pipeline branch. From SourceControl.

With the driver you are right. I was not clear with that. PerfLog showed that for Direct3D11 over 40% of the time is used in the Graphic card driver. That means that there are to many calls of the Direct3D11 Interface occure. This is the reason why FPS in D3D11 are half as high as with D3D9 or OpenGL.
robmar

Post by robmar »

Well Grantye said performance was as good or better than DX9, so I have no idea!

Grantye?