Finally, a DirectX 10 video driver for Irrlicht

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Granyte

Re: Finally, a DirectX 10 video driver for Irrlicht

Post by Granyte »

The performance patch is not yet pushed so yes the driver is setting render states multiple times per draw calls. That will be fixed once I push my patch.

Also there is an issue with gui rendering where the gui is using a single mesh buffer on every draw call forcing a pipeline stall every single time.
airc

Post by airc »

hi
are those issues gonna be fixed soon? , and any hint about when the driver (dx11) will be ready to use ?
some thing waiting for 5 years ago ;)
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

for the state being re set multiple times I just need properly split the patch and upload it so nadro can have a look but since the project that ate all my time this summer is not over I have no idea when I will have the time. As for the GUI there is not much that can be done unless we rebuild the gui completly
airc

Post by airc »

thanks for the infos
masm32

Post by masm32 »

Hi,
For me the best solution, to be compatible with OpenGL and 3D9 is, to cache the cbuffer and the states in system memory, flag if there are changes (dirty flag) and only send the buffer as complete block to the driver before the draw call is made. Don't "never" use UpdateSubrecources, always Map and Unmap D3D11 Buffers, UpdateSubresources is painful slow.
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

IMHO, in shader-pipeline we should modify SMaterial (we may leave SMaterial for backward compatibility and just add CMaterial class or similar eg. CPipelineState). With setters/getters in this class we will be able to implement "dirty" flag in an easy way and add grab/drop mechanism to this class. This class may be similar to PSO from D3D12.
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

I already implemented such a thing in the performance upgrade i did only the changed buffers are uploaded but you have to manualy not set the constant that didn't change
robmar

Post by robmar »

How's the driver coming along?
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

I still don't have any free time
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

At this rate, Irrlicht should have a DX11 driver at least, too bad there are no DX programmers in the Irrlicht project. =.=U
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
robmar

Post by robmar »

There is at least one!
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

The driver is almost complete but when the effect framework got removed a bug with transparency apeared and i's been nearly impossible to fix.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Damn, that's a back down... well good luck fixing it. I wish i could be of more help, but getting "down there" is still a bit rough for me XD. In the mean time, Irrlicht has almost ready the support for cubemaps, at least, the interface is prepared to distinguish between 2D and Cube textures. It would be a great addition as well :)
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

I think i have solved the One texture blend issue once and for all
but the text scene node still glitches and hide some on blend material node from rendering
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Nice to hear! :D Sorry for the dumb question, but.. this was actually a Direct3D11 video driver, right?.. i mean D3D10 didn't fare very well after all ^^U