Finally, a DirectX 10 video driver for Irrlicht

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Nadro

Re: Finally, a DirectX 10 video driver for Irrlicht

Post by Nadro »

As I know it will be nice to extend a MeshBuffer to support many VertexBuffers instead of one. This will be usefull for an instancing. It's on my TODO list, but firstly I wanna add a OGL3 Core Profile driver (for shader-pipeline branch) and help with integrate OGL-ES branch into a trunk (this require fully iOS and Android support). Support for many VB doesn't require too much of work, so it will be not a problem to add it in a future.

Because I'm mainly an OpenGL programmer I'll be grateful if You'll be inform me which features are required for fully FVF support under DX10/11. Of course if You have any questions for a FVF support in Irrlicht please ask :)
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

Well it's simply that the Vertex descriptor does not hold enough data to fill the input slot, input slotclass and the instancedatastep so i cannot fill them with enought data to allow for instancing to be used. Anyway even with enough of this we still need to call draw instanced wich would mean a diferent type of draw calls.

Code: Select all

desc.SemanticName = getSemanticName(VertexDescription->getAttribute(i)->getSemantic());
        desc.SemanticIndex = getSemanticIndex(VertexDescription->getAttribute(i)->getSemantic());
        desc.Format = getFormat(VertexDescription->getAttribute(i));
        desc.InputSlot = 0;
        desc.AlignedByteOffset = D3D11_APPEND_ALIGNED_ELEMENT;
        desc.InputSlotClass = D3D11_INPUT_PER_VERTEX_DATA;//elements[i].PerInstance ? D3D11_INPUT_PER_INSTANCE_DATA : D3D11_INPUT_PER_VERTEX_DATA;
        desc.InstanceDataStepRate = 0;//elements[i].InstanceStep;

Also i'm wondering about the desing is it that every driver had it's own vertex descriptor taylored to the device type and keep a list of the diferent types created?

cause i curently ducktaped the new FVF into the older fvf that was created for the driver and let's just say it's not working so i guess i have a couple of hours of code reading a head of me

Edit i somehwat got it to somewhat work? again?

anyway to cheer my self ill post a picture of the port to 1.8 wich had a little more sucess

Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Hi,
Thanks for an info, but I think that these informations related to an instancing shouldn't be included into a vertex descriptor, because these informations may be different for each instance group. Of course, we know that different draw call for an instancing is required. We'll add them in future. It will be nice if at first You will fully adopt all existed irrlicht features into a DX10 driver and leave new features like an instancing for a close future :)
Cheers,
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

Any one has an idea waht can cause the mesh deformation we see in the top picture?
it's the meshviewer basicaly every mesh is giving me a deformed version even the custom scene node example it's basicaly working but the mesh is streetched.
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

For me it looks like 2d quad, 2d triangle and 2d plane showed on the scene. How the scene looks when You draw eg. cube instead of terrain?
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

the 2d drawing was broken in the driver i simply dinot fix it i got to the integrate with your FVF patch right away.

sorry i was talking about this picture in 1.8.0 the meshes were drawn correctly but with the fvf it's just well you see it
hendu

Post by hendu »

I want the pic of that window properly posted in the glitch pic thread ;)
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Hmmm, probably You use a descriptor in a wrong way. Please put a patch somewhere and I'll looking on it.
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

Would a patch file created by tortoise SVN do the trick?
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Yep, it will be fine :)
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

OK, I will look at it when I'll find some free time.
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

I patched the custom material renderer that was broken into the transition

How ever there still is an issue with the mesh rendering i'm puzeled what can it be vertex size or count not properly sent ? or index size or count ? or maybe primitive type?

as soon as this is fixed the only thing remaining is 2d rendering and writing a couple basic material and the driver would be good to go
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Currently I don't have an access to Windows platform (per 7 days), but You should check how it works with eg. static - 16bits indices, static sementics etc. so adopt flexible vertex format step by step.
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

Granyte wrote:Any one has an idea waht can cause the mesh deformation we see in the top picture?
Have you got a PIX grab?