MAGE (MinimalAbstractGameEngine) [Ogre|Irrlicht]

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
DirectxXx

MAGE (MinimalAbstractGameEngine) [Ogre|Irrlicht]

Post by DirectxXx »

http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... &start=150

A guy "amit mathew" has released first working demo of MAGE. Which can choose between Ogre and Irrlicth. It uses ogre script files but can use irrlicht for rendering.
AssiDragon

Post by AssiDragon »

I've started to use MAGE for my own project. Just posting this here because then I'm able to help people who are using MAGE as well. :)
Staring through eyes of hate we kill
Are we controlled, or is our own will...?
(Edguy)
quark

Post by quark »

OK, then tell us your first impression. Is it good? If MAGE can use Irrlicth, then it should be possible to use Irrlicht GUI. Or not? I like Irrlicht GUI, but missing tree control.
AssiDragon

Post by AssiDragon »

MAGE seems nice. What I really like is being able to replace OGRE/Irrlicht/any engine without any changes to your code - and the same with Phyisics or sound systems. It also seems to be easy to use - I'm very used to OGRE now though, so what's fine and dandy for me might be not so good for you. Depends on the personal like I guess...

As for GUI, I will be using CEGUI - can't comment on that one. :)
(Edguy)

Post by Guest »

AssiDragon wrote:MAGE seems nice. What I really like is being able to replace OGRE/Irrlicht/any engine without any changes to your code - and the same with Phyisics or sound systems.
OK. I understand, MAGE is just wrapper for Irllicht or OGRE. But I'm more interested in specific things supported by Irrlicht or OGRE. Can specific things from those engines be used no metter which engine is used?
AssiDragon

Post by AssiDragon »

If you want to do specific things, you loose the ability to port your code from engine to engine without any changes or any major rewrite. Imho, if you want to do that, you don't need mage or any game engine at all - just use the engine directly. I'm rather fine with the ability to port to another engine once needed.
(Edguy)