Puzzle Moppet (source released)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
hendu

Re: Puzzle Moppet (now free)

Post by hendu »

Mobile: "free app a day"

PC: "go to smaller pools", that means port it to linux and mac, and if possible even smaller pools too (pandora etc).
If you're competing in the big pool, it's hard to get attention even from indie focused sites with all the competition. On the other hand, get listed in the mac app store / ubuntu software center, and most mac/U-specific sites/mags will give free coverage. Some even without asking.
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

Hmm, I did try most of the things suggested; it's on the Ubuntu Software Centre, Desura, the Mac store... I manually emailed a *lot* of review sites of all different types, and used a press release distribution service several times. (I did get several reviews on some minor websites, and a lot of copy+paste postings as well. And I did get a handful of sales from this, just nothing significant or anywhere near compensating for the time put into the game.)

I've come to accept the game simply wasn't good or original enough ;) Nor polished enough - it needed a story / cutscenes, better achievements, menu art, etc... something more than just logic puzzles. And I think to do all that was too much for one person, I just got burned out and fed up.

The quality bar is very high even with indie games nowadays. And especially indie games are expected to be highly original and fun if they can't have the full detailed worlds of AAA games.

I think you probably know when you've hit the required quality or originality level when the game markets itself, with people who play the game posting about it on forums and stuff...

...and after the initial marketing it maintains itself [I've seen this work for one or two non-game projects].
hendu

Post by hendu »

Well, that reason makes sense too. I haven't tried it myself, so can't say how it is.
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

Ok, now the source code is released:

--> http://garnetgames.com/puzzlemoppet/
----> http://garnetgames.com/PuzzleMoppetSource.tar.gz

But be warned: it's very ugly in places, and uses an obese and overly complex engine I was working on at the time.