Star Empires!!

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Abraxas)

Star Empires!!

Post by Abraxas) »

Star Empires

Update: sept24th, 2011
After a hard 2nd year of mech, I started developing some more. Nothing is more satisfying then being able to code and create your own material (unless it's a REALLY REALLY good date).

I now have forums with more screenshots and goodies!

http://starempires.zxq.net

so here are some more recent screenshots:

These textures I made in photoshop and used crazybumb for a heightmap, and the irrlicht function to make the normal map. I'm still trying to figure out how to do specular and occlusion maps.
There is a transparent sphere on top for clouds.

I still haven't worked on the window art but here is my design so far:

And some battle with HP bars and other little graphics:

I come from a bw/sc2 background so I'm trying to make a game that feels like starcraft, but plays like space empires 5 in real time. I'm a masters terran if anyone was curious :)

feedback is appreciated!
Last edited by Abraxas) on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Abraxas)

Post by Abraxas) »

200 views and noone can comment? not even a "this is the worst looking game ever"?

:(
Adler1337

Post by Adler1337 »

Cool game :D Could use some better graphics though(maybe some shaders and lighting).
I've been working on a sweet RTS game for the past month. In september I didnt know C++ or irrlicht, and now I've got a decent grasp of the two.
Definitely not bad for only a couple of months.

ps: It wouldn't kill you used alt-PrtScrn instead of just PrtScrn :wink:
multum in parvo
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Abraxas) wrote:200 views and noone can comment? not even a "this is the worst looking game ever"?
Hehe, sorry. You have nice screenshots (although using assets from someone else isn't really a good idea). Good luck with the project.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
ArakisTheKitsune

Post by ArakisTheKitsune »

Nice, I really like MOO3 and SE5 so I am hoping to see this game finished.
It looks good for now ;)
Knowledge is power, understanding is wisdom.
Abraxas)

Post by Abraxas) »

I have quite alot to do before the game is 'finished' but by the end of this year I'll release a playable demo.

I'm only using the SE5 models as placeholders untill original assets are made. Already the entire gui is different then what I posted previously.

Thanks for the support :)
gingerheadman

Post by gingerheadman »

Wow, I'm really impressed that you could go from not knowing C++ or Irrlicht to making a RTS game in just two months. Already the screanshots are looking pretty good :-)
My website - Miscreant Software
Abraxas)

Post by Abraxas) »

Thanks everybody :)

Here is what my new GUI is looking like, I\m still working on art for buttons and other clickables/sliders.

And as always, if anyone would like to work with modelling/skinning I could use the help!
cdrwolfe

Post by cdrwolfe »

That's really impressive,

I also was working on a space combat engine for a separate game, though currently it looks as if i will have to port it over to XNA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w8QfXkG7D8

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZPZREOUg9Q

for a look

It uses C# and the .NET version of irrlicht sadly, but if you want any assets or code or help, though probably limited on my part give me a pm.

Still, looking good so far.

Regards Wolfe
Bate

Post by Bate »

looks cool.

btw... it's "Shields" not "Sheilds" ;)
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

nice :D i like the laser beam.
Abraxas)

Post by Abraxas) »

@ Bate:

Yeah I should go back to high school and learn english. Truth is, whenever I type I just right click mistakes and select the correct spelling. It's killing my skills.

The laser is actually really cool, I'll upload a video onto youtube showing some of the stuff I've done.
Brkopac

Post by Brkopac »

Abraxas) wrote:@ Bate:

Yeah I should go back to high school and learn english. Truth is, whenever I type I just right click mistakes and select the correct spelling. It's killing my skills.

The laser is actually really cool, I'll upload a video onto youtube showing some of the stuff I've done.
This looks awesome so far, looking forward to the progression of this project. And to touch on the english note, "'i' before 'e' except after 'c'". At least that's how I remember it :P

Brkopac
Image - The glory days.
Abraxas)

Post by Abraxas) »

It's been almost a year since I've had time to develop, mechanical engineering kept me really busy in my first semester at least.

I have a couple new screen shots if anyone is curious.

Showing a planetary system. Planets revolve around their sun and rotate around themselves:
Production system. I don't have any graphics yet but I'm working on it. Any planet can queue up their own production and the system is entirely data-driven and object oriented:

Since I'm not an artist, if anyone would like to collaborate on the project and would like to see their space ships/artwork used in a game, it would be a pleasure to welcome someone on the team. The game is entirely independent and free, to be enjoyed by people who like 4x and real time strategy games.
elektrikal

Supa!

Post by elektrikal »

looking very good. nice textures and models too. keep up the good work
Sorry about my bad english.thanks.