Real time editor

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Zann

Real time editor

Post by Zann »

A bit ago while working on one of my little projects I came to the realisation that I really wasn't ever going to get anywhere If I didn't setup some type of editor for scenes so I started working on one. Just saw the "resurrected" thread about a visual editor a day or two ago and figured there might be some interest in it. I threw together a little website to hold some pics for now just to see what you guys think. It's pretty far from "finished" right now but what's there is working pretty well. So..uh..lemme know.

http://variable.50megs.com

Thanks,
-Zann
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

I'm glad to see this. Nice is that another users works with this kind of tools.
But there a lot of work really.

Success!
nitroman

Post by nitroman »

Very interesting! :D It look great!
I have some questions...

What is the list of features for the moment?
I can see that it is possible to create an heightmap, add light, and add a skybox and fog. very cool! Is there something else?
Is it possible to place the camera?

How does it save the scene? directly to source code or to another format?
spongebob

Post by spongebob »

I wish you success and good luck! It's a great idea and your tool seems very useful. :wink:
Zann

Post by Zann »

What is the list of features for the moment?

It's a little difficult to answer. I'm writing a class to contain the scene as I work with the editor. A vast majority of the grunt work is done by the builder app while the scene class is there so that everything you build can be manipulated externally in the program that it is built for. If that makes sense with how I said it. To answer you though, as of now heightmaps, lights, collision, load screen w/ progress bar and distance fog are all in and working well. The lights were the first "entity" that I added and static models are what I'm planning to do next.

I can see that it is possible to create an heightmap, add light, and add a skybox and fog. very cool! Is there something else?

That's about it right now and really that's why I posted this. If there was some sort of interest in an editor then that's cool and I would like to work further on it. If not then I can hack my way through a personal tool much faster than I can take the time to put in some decent error catching (yadda yadda) that you need if someone else might be toying with it.

Is it possible to place the camera?

No. The scene object handles just the scene itself. The camera is external to it and is something you would place for your own application. Inside the builder application you can toggle between a first person camera to move around and a "ui" camera when you're ready to work with a specific area of the scene.

How does it save the scene? directly to source code or to another format?

All saved and loaded using xml.

ok, ok, so I got a lil windy on that, sorry =P
-Zann
nitroman

Post by nitroman »

Very cool!
If there was some sort of interest in an editor then that's cool and I would like to work further on it.
I'm interested! I think that Irrlicht need some tools like this to help the development of games more quickly. :D

I stay tuned. :wink:
firefly2442

Post by firefly2442 »

One word.

Sweet! :D
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Fantastic work, congrats!

It's starting to look like the Torque game engine level editor where everything is done and set in the mission in realtime.

very nice approach, indeed.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

really amazing :)
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
puh

Post by puh »

Very promising indeed!
lantis

Post by lantis »

Can be executable files and source code available on webpage?
Or its another project - "Hey ppls look what im do!" and noone can't se
what he do.
Zann

Post by Zann »

There's nothing up for download yet because it just plain isn't "done enough". For instance you can place a light right now. You can set the properties on it. You can't however remove it from the scene once it's added. You can't edit the properties once it is set (although this is almost done). These kinda things are pretty necessary imo. I'm planning to have a dl pretty soon (hoping for around a week assuming doom 3 doesn't completely consume me).

Thanks for all the replies guys =)

-Zann
lantis

Post by lantis »

Zann im think nearly all want see your editor in work ;) noone care
about current functionality ;)
Place code on webpage! ;-)
Zann

re:

Post by Zann »

Well, I have a "first run" download ready to go, but no place to put it. Does anyone know of a free file hosting server anymore? I went looking some and got nowhere but pissed off =p

-Zann
Bog_Wraith

I'll host it for you

Post by Bog_Wraith »

I will host it for you if you want. Just let me know.