The game with no name

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

yeap i meant bake the ambient occlusion onto your texture so that it will look better but still render with the exact same speed in real-time. 8) it's very easy to do that in Blender.
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

I had a thought about it and I figured a sort of "lightmap" would be the best as I'm
splatting (some of the) clothes onto the base texture (ie. trousers on the naked character)
I'll have to do this ingame at runtime but only when a player changes
clothes so that is cool, like: Base texture + Trousers + Shirt + "lightmap".

I definitely try to get the hands on how to do those maps
(Maybe bake a character with a white lit texture?).
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

Time to bump my thread before it enters oblivion eh.

I just re-set up my little Atom mini server (have been moving to another appartment)
so I put my little php registration 'script' on it and added the WAMP server + the game server & data.

Which meant you can test my game by going here:
http://81.57.87.82:8080/Ludvig-mmo/

Now, this is really pre-proto stuff so there are a Lot of things that doesn't work, are ugly etc. etc. but I'm working on it.

And yeah, ingame everything is in French(!), I'm Swedish so I have made the necessary
for 'other language support' but I haven't translated everything and as I'm living
in France well that is how it ended up (great for testing non-ASCII languages though).
The server is also in France (Paris) so I guess overseas clients will have crazy ping etc.

If you are on a 'non french' computer you might want to edit the gameconfig.xml file
where you can switch from the AZERTY keybord to the slightly ^^ more known QWERTY keyboard.
You can also change screen resolution (game doesn't check if it is supported though), vsync and fullscreen.

BTW: if you come by later (this was poster the 19 of august 2009) maybe it won't work, if I change things I'll try to update the first post in this thread.

Anyway all comments are welcomed!

[edit] How to play:
directionnal keys (and QZSD on AZERTY keyboard for example) moves you around
Space = jump (DON'T jump outside of a terrain as the server will think you never hits the ground)

If you are stuck, just turn and walk backwards (a debug thing, you can climb any mountain this way for example)

Right click = ACTION (attack, buy, sell, equip...)
Left click = Information

If you slide an object out of the backpack onto 'nowhere' it will be destroyed (no "Do you want to destroy : Shoes" popup).
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Good to see this project is still alive, I'll try testing this tomorrow. Keep up the good work :D
Murloc992

Post by Murloc992 »

I think that wasn't supposed to happen :lol:

Everytime I connect got that very awesome black colored map, and getting teleported back to the place I was before moving. :D

By the way:

I am using Gf 7600GS card from Nvidia.

And polycount for terain is kinda low :S I thought it will be bigger than 140k :cry: /sarcasm mode on
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

Uh oh, yeah that definitely shouldn't happen... your card has pixelshaders 3.0 and the game requires only 2.0/2.0+.

It looks like the triplanar mapping doesn't work as expected, the black parts, are they
moving or static and do you have more textures on the terrain (ie. grass, sand etc.)?

Could you copy paste the text from the output window (or tell if there are a
line in the beginning saying something about the videocard / Cg compilation)?

The snapping probably occurs because you are "outside of the maps" so if you jump the server will think you
never hits the ground (you were able to walk around a bit at startup right?).
I moved your character to around the start point if you want to test again.

And thanks for testing :!:

ps. the terrains are auto-cut up in small parts for culling :)
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

Fixed the jumping thing (now you shouldn't 'snap' even if you are outside the world )

[edit] just crossed my mind:
if you are disconnected from the server you might not notice, but you might
snap back to your initial position as the server doesn't validate your moves...
Murloc992

Post by Murloc992 »

Could you copy paste the text from the output window (or tell if there are a
line in the beginning saying something about the videocard / Cg compilation)?
And here's what the console is showing:

it looks like the triplanar mapping doesn't work as expected, the black parts, are they
moving or static and do you have more textures on the terrain (ie. grass, sand etc.)?
I should have, I have downloaded full game.
And thanks for testing :!:
No problem.
ps. the terrains are auto-cut up in small parts for culling :)
I see, but I have managed to find a place where poly were 300k :? it is very very too much for a simple terrain. :)
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

Thanks for the output (and sorry, fixed the password showing up).

>I should have, I have downloaded full game.

Which mean that you see sand, grass etc. :) ?
(maybe it's the lightmap not working as expected...)

The polycount might be high in places but I'm planning (that's why I have cut up the terrains in pieces) to have different
lod:s (and like no shader but just a gray color for terrains far away, but for that to look nice I have to implement fog).
I also have the possibility to set other parameters for the terrains lod, now it is at maximum...

I have lowered the number of textures sent to the shader, now it's 12 instead of 16, maybe a 7600GS is limited to < 16 ?
(so if you want to you can download the new version)
Murloc992

Post by Murloc992 »

Valmond wrote:Thanks for the output (and sorry, fixed the password showing up).

>I should have, I have downloaded full game.

Which mean that you see sand, grass etc. :) ?
(maybe it's the lightmap not working as expected...)

The polycount might be high in places but I'm planning (that's why I have cut up the terrains in pieces) to have different
lod:s (and like no shader but just a gray color for terrains far away, but for that to look nice I have to implement fog).
I also have the possibility to set other parameters for the terrains lod, now it is at maximum...

I have lowered the number of textures sent to the shader, now it's 12 instead of 16, maybe a 7600GS is limited to < 16 ?
(so if you want to you can download the new version)
I don't think that 7600GS is limited to <16 since it has 3.0 ps.

Gonna check new version out :) Gonna edit after it to spread the news :p

And thanks for hiding password :)

EDIT:

Bad news :S

The terrain is still messed up and now I spotted other problem:

The main NPC that is there is keeping reloading and spamming console with reload function. And by that it is updating inventory slots and all that stuff which have [slot].

Seems something is really messed up. :?
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

Thanks for testing again!

I made some friends (re)test the game (XP, Vista and even under windows
'emulated' on Mac OSX) and it works ok, this is when you regret not working on a console 8)

what kind of drivers do you use (and version)?

You are on Windows Vista right, not on Linux / Wine etc. ?

For the 'spamming', does this happen when you are close to the NPC:s (ie. not moving)?
I have them (the NPC:s) un load at a quite short distance so if you move around they will reload quite often.
Murloc992

Post by Murloc992 »

Well, I am using XP Home. Newest NVidia drivers for my card(it won't support the newest ones in downloads section so it is older version specially for 7600GS).

And spamming happens when i have turned my character to a NPC, npc just keeps despawning and respawning himself.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

I'm getting a crash right after it says starting main loop, the console doesn't give any information on what caused it.
Murloc992

Post by Murloc992 »

Lonesome Ducky wrote:I'm getting a crash right after it says starting main loop, the console doesn't give any information on what caused it.
So it seems that I am very lucky because I can survive thru 'Starting main loop.' part and see actual 'game in action'. :D
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

Murloc992, could you tell me what your ping is (the first ping is marked in the output window, "Got server time 14346843, ping=123)?

and also, can I send yoy another shader to see if it's the lightmap or the triplanar mapping that is causing all the black parts?

Lonesome Ducky, I have added debug output to a new version if you want to test it (which would be very cool if you do ;))

[edit] just FYI the game runs on Open GL at the moment, haven't been able to recompile Nadros excellent
Cg binding with DirectX (well, when I recompile the Cg binding it doesn't work so for the moment it's OpenGL only).