The game with no name

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Everything looks perfect, the gui feels a bit clunky though. Do you plan on translating it to english and have both languages as an option, or just the language it's in right now? Anyway, great work!
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

Thanks for the remarks!

The GUI is being completely rewritten so I hope it's going to be better.

Do you think the back packs are too big too or are you talking about the "windows" only?

And for the languages, yes I'll have at least French & English (Swedish?) and it shouldn't
be so hard to implement (some texts are in the client and some in the server though).
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Yeah, I'm talking about just the windows. There's a bug too, when I had one of my packs open behind a window when I was looting something, the close button for the loot window wouldn't work. And all the enemies coming after you kills you pretty quickly :) Anyway, I'd say you've done some great work so far, I'll be looking forward to seeing this project progress.
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

The latest version work properly on my PC. I'm waiting for English version ;) Good work Valmond!
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

Thanks!

I'll probably have a language system up more or less soon :)
Murloc992

Post by Murloc992 »

Dunno why, but I have same black places on map, well now NPCS and movement are fixed. :?

Drivers for my NVidia are the newest(185 WHQL).
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

I uploaded 3 new shaders in a pack, they are essentially the same but without lightmap, without triplanar mapping and without both.
[edit] the original shader is there too with a minor bugfix (3 float4->float3 casts)

You just need to change the file Version/Shader/new_terrainsplatting.cg with one of these (you'll need to rename the new file to new_terrainsplatting.cg).

the pack is here

BTW I'm using this to create the shader:

Code: Select all

s32 CgMultiTextureMaterialType = GPU->addCgShaderMaterialFromFiles(CG_SOURCE,
		"Shader/new_terrainsplatting.cg","main_v","arbvp1","vs_2_0",
		"Shader/new_terrainsplatting.cg","main_f","arbfp1","ps_2_0",TSCB,EMT_TRANSPARENT_ALPHA_CHANNEL);
I probably could change that arbvp1 to arbfp1 (float instead of double, if it isn't "vertex shader only", documentation is a bit blurry) but any ideas are welcome :)
Tannz0rz

Post by Tannz0rz »

Just went online. It's quite fun if I'd say so myself. Even though the textures are rather messed up, it's still fun to mess around on.
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

Long time since last post but I'm still on it!

So this is what I have been doing since last post:

I switched to Unity3D for their terrain editor, so with some scripts I export terrains,
lightmap, splatmaps, static objects end dynamic objects (flowers to pick up for example).

The server is now Zoned for players (so I can have a load of threads for AI for example), it is also zoned for pick-up-able items.
This will use any multi core system better and also gives the necessary hooks for multi-server use (who knows?!).

Enemies have an threat meter so they might change focus if
another player does more damage to them than you have done.

GUI is almost completely redone (except the Shop window) and I added a button for the quest window.
There is a quit/parameters/logout window (hit escape) but at the moment it isn't
functioning (you can click buttons like log out, video etc. but nothing happens).

I added a (quite ugly) minimap too and I also made a shader 'library' so I have water now (simple perturbed background)
and also a shader for the skinning (big speedup, before it took about 5.5msec to render a 2k poly player, now it's like
0.5-1 msec), I'll post the code when it works perfectly well.

I also made some php scripts so I can edit items, quests and such from
my browser (easier than inserting things directly into the database).
Quests can also be of the form 'pick up this or that item'.

So there are not that many 'visual' improvements (hence the lack of posts).

Now I'm off for Christmas holidays so I'll continue the work in early January, til then Happy Christmas!

Valmond
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

Seems there is a problem with some computers (my friend got an ATI card and animations doesn't animate, I got a Nvidia and well, it works).

Check it out if you want and I'd definitely like all kinds of feedback!

(BRB after holidays)
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

Seems things didnt't work as expected, on a couple of laptops I got logged out before the client had
loaded all the graphics etc. so I changed that a bit (Server updated, client only locally but it should be OK).

If you got the time, Please tell if things doesn't work and what happens :)

Cheers !
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

Added an option page for video (to open it: [esc] -> [Video], at the moment you need to relaunch the game for changes to work though).

The base quality is about 'medium-low', change as you like (water on 'hi' eats quite a lot of GPU power).

I also mixed up (sorry) two databases so you couldn't log in if you created a new account, fixed.
wowdevver24

Post by wowdevver24 »

url does not work for me atm, can I have a url to test plz, this looks amazing, btw does it support raid's / dungeons?, if you ever need any stories or concept art it would be my pleasure to help
Remember all information is contextual and if I do not understand the context I cannot gras the information
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

Sorry for the delay, the server has been down, hard drive failure.
I more or less expected this to happen (sooner or later) as I was keeping the
'server' on my desktop at home and the HD was an old 80GB drive I
found lying around in a drawer ^^).

So I checked out what it would cost to get a dedicated windows server. turns out it's kind of expensive.
So I checked out if you could run a windows.exe on a "dedicated session" of a server which is cheaper.
Turn out you usually can't and the one I tried (and payed) was like two kids running the server on
their home computer letting mom and dad pay the electricity I guess.
Lasted a whole 2 days before database dropped, next day server went down and eventually their hard drive blew too.
Haven't heard of them since...

OK, so it's expensive because the server runs on windows, so I spent a whole week to port it to Linux which
actually was quite a big hassle but I got it done in the end (really ... Linux is ... Really geek!)
so now I got this little RPS server up and running for 12€ a month :)
Atom single core, 20GB disk,
1MB guaranteed disk read/write speed
Doesn't seems much but the server really rarely do disk stuff and if it's not enough I can buy more (4MB/s and 10MB/s).
But best of all, a 100MBits connection from the server to the internet!

It's like the perfect test-server for my game ^^

Well, I also added some monsters and quests (still in French though, sorry).
But it's like, find the 'chef', kill boars to get steaks, pick up wheel-parts, kill wolfs to get skin, find parasol, find hat, kill wasps to get...).

Yeah, I also added (not Really finished) hardware skinning (Thanks to Blindeside!) and it seems to work okay except
a nasty memory leak because of an Irrlicht patch I'm using (mesh copying) but I think I have a workaround for that...

Anyhow, if anyone wants to check out the game here is the link to the inscription and download:
http://91.121.200.170/
(ps. check the gameconfig.xml file if you use one of these *cough* unknown QWERTY keybords .. (you can also skip that and use the directional keys to move around)).
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

Quite a lot of new things in my little game:

4 playable classes, 4 special actions per class, a lot of bugfixes, refraction water, new (almost finished) hardware skin mesh system (correctly lit), new quests, item templates, stackable items, new monsters, ...