Unika (Hopefully another Irrlicht project)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Mel
Competition winner

Unika (Hopefully another Irrlicht project)

Post by Mel »

Unika is a game different (not in the meaning of "new" that is hard, but in the meaning that it is neither a 3d shooter nor an RTS, nor a MMORPG) from the ones you see here, it is a 3D action adventure where our main characters (there will be several) will move and evolve in a wolrd where humans and androids coexist in a "somewhat" pacific way.

The action is set 700 years into the future of a enormously changed planet Earth, due to the man-machine wars. Though the time is of a relative peace humans and their artificial children still have their differences. and a series of facts might change what humans and androids think. A single android may have the key which opens the future of human-kind

This is the general background of the history. The influences of Matrix and other sources of Scifi and anime are clear, i admit it, but i'm trying to get something, although highly influenced, original. It doesn't try to be philosophical at all, in fact i try not to give any kind of moral. Just a good story :) I've choosen the languaje of Devil May Cry because it focus in both parts of the history, scenery and characters, Characters will be detailed and stages will also have a fair amount of detail. I find that Irrlicht precisely has what it would be a good set of features for the objectives i have in mind, and is pretty easily to manage and work with, so this is my work. i hope you like it :)

Here is a little alpha test. I've already received opinions If you want to state yours, feel free.

http://i33.tinypic.com/zwdxmh.jpg
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
fmx

Post by fmx »

sounds like a great idea, and I'm liking the style, setting and mood already!

What is the approximate time-scale for the production, and how are you planning to bring this game to completion (ie, number of team members, sofware / technologies you're planning to use, etc, etc)?

just some facts I'm curious about, maybe other people too (no need to list *all* the details, just some basic numbers would suffice I guess ;) )

I'd love to see a FINISHED product, far too many Irrlicht projects never see the light of day (not even getting further than the initial concept, as screenshots or playable demos in some cases :shock: )

Good luck!
:D
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Did you see the screenshot? It's actually there. That's not vaporware, tho.
Lambda

Post by Lambda »

Nice screen.

We are involved on a MMOTPS project too, but now is too soon to show anything related with the project.

Good luck with the project :mrgreen:
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

I think it looks great. Good models, textures and lighting, key to great visual impact (along with animation ofc). I saw the other posting on the 'Post Your Irrlicht Screenshots / Render Here' thread too and thought that it looked promising from that also.

I would suggest that you try some early stress tests also to test out your scene and polygon density and the depth of the use of stencil shadowing. I very much like the high visual impact that stencil shadowing gives to the scene although its you may need to assess the extent you use it within the scene.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

I don't know why, but stencil shadows have become unusable! :shock: I mean, after i got to enable the collision tests with the stage, the Shadow volumes stoped working. Maybe it is because i'm using Win32 GCC? (yeah, i tried to move already to Visual Studio, but it seems my windows XP version is too old (?)) I tried also Xeffects, but it render the effects in 512x textures, so, although i tried to use higher resolutions, it became as if it was simply 512x384, which wasn't good either :? i don't know why it won't get the full resolution of the screen. though, i might give a try to Xeffects again for the soft shadows Those are GOOD. really good.

Density is now about 50000 triangles on the scene, octrees are behaving quite well. The stage is now about 45000 triangles, and the character itself is comprised about of 5000 tris, so i have a fair amount of triangles on screen already, and goes smooth in even the highest reses.

I thank your criticisms and comments :)

http://i36.tinypic.com/ohoiab.jpg
Last screen.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Because I like the look of this game, I will try to help you fix the XEffects problems personally. If you are interested PM with details/screenshots, and I may even make some custom changes to suit your needs ;)
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

looks sexy, both the character and level :)
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Thanks for your offer BlindSide, but what i'd ask for is that the postpro effects worked on a texture of same size of the screen. And thus, it didn't look pixelated when rendering in high res. I make this proposition because i think it is an improvable feature of your effects :) which are indeed good.

Hahaha! And you haven't seen the first screen, Virion :)
Dark_Kilauea

Post by Dark_Kilauea »

Do I detect some Ghost in the Shell influences? :)
rogerborg wrote:Every time someone learns to use a debugger, an angel gets their wings.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Mel wrote:but what i'd ask for is that the postpro effects worked on a texture of same size of the screen.
Strange, this is already possible, you just have to pass in the 4th parameter (0, 0) or a size that is the same as the screen. May I ask if you are using Direct3D or OpenGL, and what graphics card please?

Cheers
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Dark_Kilauea wrote:Do I detect some Ghost in the Shell influences? :)
Won't deny it. XD Matrix also was influenced by GITS it is a sort of indirect influence ^^U

I solved the trouble with the RTT. I found a patch around here which solved the trouble of having a RTT bigger than the screen. As they shared the Depth map, the RTT couldn't be bigger, and so, the effects were limited to the last square resolution which could held the screen, in this case, 512x512.
So, effects now run in fullscreen too :) I have 800x600 res, and an effects bitmap of 1024x1024 (?!). So in this matter, troubles are solved. I've also solved some issues with the control, although it feels too digital for digital input (keyboard) i'm sure it will work nice with analogic inputs.
GameDude

Post by GameDude »

Game looks good, hope it gets completed.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Me too ^^ Me too...

Updated screens!

The program now has a multiple camera system implemented, the stage has several points which serve as fixed camera points, and the game evolves through them, but also, responsing to the player's position, so, it has most of the time a "playable"view. Also, it has a "config" file where you can tweak the most basic stuff of the program, as resolution, shadows and the usage of Xeffects, and even the icon is new and very cute! XD

By the way, i'm noticing how useful would be that Irredit could create "on the fly" meshes which used the vertex format suitable for bump/parallax mapping. But other than that, is a life savior.
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Wow... 'zimpressive! ^^