Unika (Hopefully another Irrlicht project)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Those screenshots are looking amazing. Great work.
fmx

Post by fmx »

seriously impressive stuff, really putting Xeffects to good use (artistically)!

Keep up the great work!
:D
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Hey that's looking pretty nice. I recommend for this level mesh you use "ESM_RECEIVE" mode, it's better for this kind of indoor level mesh to only receive shadows. Also, put the shadow light closer to the main character, and make it follow the character or the main scene camera around so that the shadows only cover the area that's needed. This outdated example kinda shows what I'm talking about.

Ok, I'll shutup now because you seem to be doing alright on your own ;)
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Hum! that is a pretty interesting piece of code, Orthogonal shadows can help quite a lot.

I've updated a bit the camera system. Now the camera is FREE to rotate around the characters, will point to them, and when the character moves near a "camera point" it will move on its own to the point doing a transition. The horizontal rotation is easy, it is to turn around the Y axis, but the vertical rotation on the other hand... X axis is not always the most efective, but for the time being, it works.

I'll try to move the camera also with the mouse, now, it only moves with the directional keys.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
full.metal.coder

Post by full.metal.coder »

nice screenies!

just wondering : how are you handling the physics part (especially character movement)?
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Character collision is handled through the very irrlicht colision manager. It is behaving quite well, sometimes it gets a bit messy, so i guess i'll have to change it in a near future, but for now, it is well. I've also built a system where the meshes of the IRR edit are stored to form a metaTriangle selector, and that is what colides with the character, i'm also using Octrees for them, so, mostly, it is all done with octrees.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

A bit of update, this time is a Video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPJhkIQPG6M

In the end, i opted for a Tomb Raider Camera, i gave up on the "only fixed cameras" system, although, there are fixed cameras, they share their protagonism with the "flying close the character camera"

As you can see, there are several animations already done, right now the character even jumps. But i'm going to rewrite that part of the controls so, it allows a lot more of expresivity to the system.

Also, i'm trying to add shaders to the characters, but, unless the NORMAL mapping gets rid of that "flatty" look, i'll stick to old gouraud polygons At least, it has now 2 layer reflection.
GameDude

Post by GameDude »

Wow that's looking pretty good
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Mel wrote:As you can see, there are several animations already done, right now the character even jumps. But i'm going to rewrite that part of the controls so, it allows a lot more of expresivity to the system.
Watching that video, I feel an urgent need to run up the wall and then super-jump off at some wacky angle. It looks like that kind of world.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Well, i'll try that it isn't like that at most of the times :lol:.

A new area under development. I remembered i had this somewhere.

And the main character, updated to what Irrlicht is capable to do, the other was just a small mesh i did for UT2004 ;)

Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Holy..... this is really outdated!... though i have never given up this project, i have only prepared better to face it.

The editor is functional. It saves and loads stages on a basic level, but properly. Or else, editing the shaders and the position of the nodes would be a real headache
strelkin7

Post by strelkin7 »

Is this commercial project or open source?
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

I guess it`s a closed source hobbyist project, noncommercial (yet). :wink:
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

My hope is that this becomes commercial. I have already friends who could put me in contact with distributors.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

I have reworked all the old stuff i did for the first time, and now it looks like this, the diference is that now adding more stuff now is fairly simple, setting the shaders is automated and the shadowmapping is uniform focused. I know the content is well known, but it takes too much time to get good content for a one army man ^^U I love how the shadows look now, comparing them to the first shadows. that is a 1024x1024 shadowmap

Next- Motions of the character, (and another stage ;))