Dark Reign 3 - An RTS for the Future - Based on the Past...

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
AssiDragon

Post by AssiDragon »

Captain_Kill wrote: Incase I feel like another distraction, do you need any mappers/low poly modelers for SotP? I can model in either MS3D or Max, I have DeepPaint and I can map in Gtk or maybe even MS3D (Although I would be better in Gtk...) I also have a crapload of textures available + some models from an old project :D If you want any of it or some examples of what I can do just email me here: captain_killau@yahoo.com.au. You may even be able to catch me on MSN occasionaly... captain_killau@hotmail.com
You are added to my MSN list. ;)
As for the modells, let's wait with that. I rather not bug someone else doing another project, and I am in no hurry. I won't even bother to care about modells and maps on serious level until I have the absolutely neccesary things ready and coded... 8)
Captain_Kill wrote: Oh yeah, if you see anything I make that could be used in SotP, I'm willing to implement it in. (That goes for art and code) I just like your whole project and I'll do what I can to help. (Time permitting :( Freakin days are too short...)
1st of all: thanks. :) Same goes back too, though I guess I'm not having anything close to a techdemo atm.

Yeah, know days are short... facing it myself :/ actually, I'm working on "low level" right now. As I said, I'm starting off from a generic base which I will be able to tweak into anything I want with a simple API like the one Irrlicht has. The very basic things are nearly packed in, so it shouldn't take a long while. I won't make any public release here though for sure :? and will only do at other forums when I feel comfortable enough. Chances are you will get playable demos sooner than those release, though ;)
Captain_Kill wrote: Again, good luck and I really can't wait to see what SotP turns out like 8)
haha, thanks. Same here about your TINDR-LGH ;)
Captain_Kill wrote: [edit]
I thought you were using Irrlicht... Looks cool, the water FX especially.
He posted here a while ago he left for something else... if my memory isn't doing some access violation again :)
Staring through eyes of hate we kill
Are we controlled, or is our own will...?
(Edguy)
Captain_Kill

Post by Captain_Kill »

I could make it reinstall windows :) Or how about a BIOS flash? You do know how to recover one right? :lol: :twisted: Or how about an auto CPU overclock? I could see how long your PC can run at 5Ghz! :P

Evil is my middle name! MUHAHAHAH! All will fall beneath me! The world is mine I say! MINE!!!!! Fear me! :x :evil: :x :evil:

:lol:

Are you sure that site is legally allowed to use Q3's models? :shock: Sounds a bit dubious to me... Or it could be me being paranoid :(

Anyhow, enough of my ramblings and spamming...

/me goes back to reading: 'Taking Over The World For Dummies' and browsing www.villainsupply.com
2.8GHz P4 with HT - 512MB DDR - ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB - Windows XP - VC++ 6 and VC++ 2003

Dark Reign 3 Home Page: http://darkreign3.notwhatyouthink.org/
Dark Reign 3 Forums: http://notwhatyouthink.org/darkreign3bb/
AssiDragon

Post by AssiDragon »

Btw, Kill (can I call you this way? :) ) you would be better off with FMOD than Audiere I think, but that's my personal opinion. Don't even poke OpenAL though, it's hideous compared to FMOD even :twisted: (well, at least to my mind)

Robomaniac - no offense, but glad to hear you are only doing one thing at once =) restored a big buncha faith ;)
(Edguy)
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

b. you have only an idea of your project, go home, you will never ever do something
That's not what I have said and the ones that are actually talking sense have said. I hope that Cap. can distinguish between those just bashing for the sake of it and those making a point.

My view is, you have an idea for a project. Great, so does everyone. Now go do it, show us what you've done and we'll all praise you when we see something done. Until then we will all remain skeptical. What else could you expect? Flaming people for having an idea is a bad thing but skepticism is all that can be expected with a page of an idea, no website, no screenies, no code, no binaries and a lot of promises.

Like I said before, I hope you do go on to prove some peeps here wrong and go do an amazing, large scale project. Irrlicht as a community could use a really big project for everyone to get behind IMO and good luck to you. I'm not getting down to worship your feet just yet though ;)
Captain_Kill

Post by Captain_Kill »

I'm not getting down to worship your feet just yet though
I never said you had to :P
/me puts on evil voice
Although if all goes well with my evil plans you will be chief groveler! :twisted: You will grovel at my feet day and night... FOREVER!! MUHAHAHA! 8)
That's not what I have said and the ones that are actually talking sense have said. I hope that Cap. can distinguish between those just bashing for the sake of it and those making a point.
That Guest dude was just a flamer... Damn coward. I'm also not sure about warui either... Although he does seem to help people out a fair bit which is cool

Assi:
Nah, not Kill... My name is MR KILL! :D

I don't mind really... Kill, Captain Kill, close enough! Yeah I know Audiere is simple, but IMHO I need speed (of development) and simplicity for now. However, I will probably switch to something like FMOD later on 8)

Cya maybe on MSN sometime... I'm in Australia so time zones are screwy :lol:
He posted here a while ago he left for something else... if my memory isn't doing some access violation again
??? :?
2.8GHz P4 with HT - 512MB DDR - ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB - Windows XP - VC++ 6 and VC++ 2003

Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force
AssiDragon

Post by AssiDragon »

I'm online a lot, don't worry ;) (Damn Utopia and programming... and such websites which you posted :lol: )

FMOD - I think it's pretty much easy too, it does most things on it's own (which it doesn't is up to you with every sound lib - say manage files and stuff). I don't know, it took me 12 hours or maybe less to fully implement it, and then additional 36 to figure I forgot out a line of code (changing the volume) and that's why I didn't hear a thing. Happens.
(Edguy)
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

I noticed this pic in another post you made:

Is this ingame? Looks like a start to me.
Valkyr

Post by Valkyr »

Ummm... I thought this was a picture of a game made with an RTS engine he was looking at. Not one of his actual game.
Captain_Kill

Post by Captain_Kill »

I'd like to be able to say I'd made the tech behind that screen shot :( But don't worry! I intend to do whatever it takes to get it into Irrlicht. This is easily THE best terrain algorithm I've come across.

I kid you not, the renderer loads MASSIVE 64MB Total Annihilation maps with ease and then smothers it with trees and manages to this with barely any fog and the best draw distance I've come across :shock: It's written in OpenGL but I don't see why it can't be ported over.

It's hard to explain how large the maps are! Seriously, you HAVE to try that 'Spring' demo. It'll knock you out :D Oh, did I also mention the fact that this same engine can simulate units involving THOUSANDS of units and up to 8 players? With no lag, great FX and on even larger maps? Yeah, that's right, people say it's impossible... If they can do it, so can I, just takes some time 8)

Assi:
That must have sucked :) I may look at FMOD. I've looked at it before but Audiere is DEFINATELY simpler... could be me though ;)

Valkyr

Post by Valkyr »

And how much memeory does this take up? What exactly would be the requirements for that engine?
Captain_Kill

Post by Captain_Kill »

That engine runs on a 650Mhz Althon with a GF2MX and 384MB of RAM at an insane framerate (There's no FPS counter, but i get NO LAG whatsoever, even on a HUGE map) It's FAST! If anyone could port this over... I swear it'd be the best thing ever :D It's high detailed, probably pushes many thousands of polys easily and because it loads TA's maps, you can use TA map making tools to make maps for it! It's the best terrain system I've come across. The map sizes are around DOUBLE BF1942's max map size!
Last edited by Captain_Kill on Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

AssiDragon

Post by AssiDragon »

TA? You are using TA stuff? omfg. You chose the "parents" well... TA beats any other RPS skyhigh :D
(Edguy)
Captain_Kill

Post by Captain_Kill »

IMHO TA is the Devil :evil: Dark Reign is MUCH better :lol:

But TA had the better graphics but I liked DR more for it's modability, storyline and gameplay. Also, TA's AI sucked no matter how much I tried to improve it... (I could beat them in a 3vs1 match! All against me on hard too!) But that is my humble opinion ;)

Your kindof right though about using TA's stuff. The terrain loader REQUIRES TA format maps and I don't know if I could be stuffed changing it... If it ain't broke then don't fix it :) Hopefully i'll be able to copy/paste alot of stuff. I aim to have it running under OpenGL only for starters, then I'll port it to DirectX. I'm also considering replacing Irrlicht's image loader with DevIL or something else similar.

AssiDragon

Post by AssiDragon »

Ogre uses Devil as I know. :wink: plus both Irrlicht and Ogre can run under DX and OpenGL as well. Maybe bugging the terrain loader a bit and making it using the engine could make it DX and OpenGL useable. This was just a brainstorm though 8)

Games:

Imho, TA beats any game, including Dark Reign or C&C (which I'm big fan of as well) I think. The gameplay had a feeling no other game could reproduce, because TA was REAL 3D - this means a lot more than you would think. Things were handled like in the real world - say, every unit could fire at any unit, not only AA units at air and such. This looked very cool - infantry looking at the sky and firing at all directions when an airstrike hit them and stuff. The air skirmishes were very cool though (the fighters make evasive movements, do airstunts to make the missiles fired at them miss them and such.) Might not sound big, but such moments give you a feeling of reality and make a gameplay which was never presented in any other RTS game.

The AI sucked though, that's alright... I could beat 3v1 even with no probs as well. But in multiplayer, against humans.... mmm :twisted:
(Edguy)