fast planet rendering

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Tarzan02

fast planet rendering

Post by Tarzan02 »

Hi,

i'm currently writing an algo which let the display in real time of an entire planet. The algo i'm using is based on CLOD, the original mesh is composed of an icosahedron (i hope it's the right name). Each triangle owned a seed number required to generate the proprieties of the child triangles (4 chils for a parent). I'd like join some screenshot but i don't know how. Somebody can tell me how ?[/img]
greenya

Re: fast planet rendering

Post by greenya »

Tarzan02 wrote:I'd like join some screenshot but i don't know how. Somebody can tell me how ?[/img]
This way:

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.site.com/my_screenshot.jpg[/img]
Tarzan02

yepee

Post by Tarzan02 »

OK, now my vessel can land on a planet. The procedure is general enough to let other vessel (Non player vessel) to land on any other planet of the system
FlyingIsFun1217

Re: yepee

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Tarzan02 wrote:OK, now my vessel can land on a planet. The procedure is general enough to let other vessel (Non player vessel) to land on any other planet of the system
Any screens?

FlyingIsFun1217 :)
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

this belongs in project announcements.

if not off topic..
Tarzan02

screenshot

Post by Tarzan02 »

ASAP i've a site, i will post some screenshot...
Tarzan02

my first screenshot

Post by Tarzan02 »

on this URL, you can see a landing on a satellite from a gaz giant.

more screenshot to follow

http://irrlichtelite.blogspot.com/
Ico

Post by Ico »

AH... my eyes... those colors...! :P

That atmosphere effect looks quite nice but the colors are a little bit weird. :)
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

looking good care to share some source?
Tarzan02

Problem with color

Post by Tarzan02 »

As you can see, effectively the colors generated are not so good. I'm looking for the possibility to generate only some realistics colors (probably based on the constitution of the atmosphere ex: methane or oxygen etc...) and when planets are created, generating a number which point on the color corresponding to the constitution.

The next step will be to generate the texture for the planet completely with a textural procedure => no need to store any texture.

When the planetary engine will be ready, i could share the source to enhance the capacity with some help.

Today, i'll try to produce some screenshot which show the triangles of the mesh and you could see the CLOD in action...
Tarzan02

forgotten

Post by Tarzan02 »

All this would be possible with irrlicht engine, so thanks a lot irrlicht
roxaz

Re: Problem with color

Post by roxaz »

Tarzan02 wrote:The next step will be to generate the texture for the planet completely with a textural procedure => no need to store any texture.
how you will generate realistic texture without storing it somewhere? its hard for me to imagine generation of oceans, lands... or maybe you menat one color texture?
Tarzan02

Re: Problem with color

Post by Tarzan02 »

roxaz wrote:
Tarzan02 wrote:The next step will be to generate the texture for the planet completely with a textural procedure => no need to store any texture.
how you will generate realistic texture without storing it somewhere? its hard for me to imagine generation of oceans, lands... or maybe you menat one color texture?
I've tried to completly generate texture of brick and mortar for a simple triangle, all that in a pixel shader (so no need texture storage) => it's ok. Of course a planetary texture is not so simple but the method is the same. I must research again for that. I'll give all the method used in this dev. If somebody wants help me he will be welcome..
Tarzan02

wireframe

Post by Tarzan02 »

You can see some screenshot in wireframe, where the CLOD algo is shown, you can see how the mesh is build in real time
Tarzan02

New generation of color

Post by Tarzan02 »

I've refund the generation of the atmosphere color and the star color =>it seems more nice. Some screenshot to follow