fast planet rendering

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Tarzan02

Post by Tarzan02 »

ok ok, it's really a sphere but seen from the ground as on the earth surface this screenshot is in wireframe it was only for a debug purpose (to show the splitting procedure) :lol:
Tarzan02

Post by Tarzan02 »

I've corrected a lot of bug in my planetary algo. A lot of work to do: calculate the atmos color in function of the hour of the day for example, in function of the camera position, etc ... and allways running on a low machine at descent frame rate. All the screenshot is taken from a hp nx7400 (not a game PC :D )
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

I'm assuming the reason you see a plane and not a sphere is because of the view clipping.. it's too far away so it's not drawn.

you obviously see it's a sphere in the more basic shots.

god lol imagine someone actually faking this.. what a waste of life that would be lol.
omar shaaban

Post by omar shaaban »

so what did u made u only made a big shpere and irrlicht made the rest from only drawing what is to be drawn!>
Tarzan02

Post by Tarzan02 »

omar:
no, irrlicht drawn all the mesh and i've written a scenenode which calculate the triangle to add (splitting) or to remove (merging) from the mesh in real time. My Scenenode is used a culling algo only to send to irrlicht the triangles needed.

Today, i'll create a project on sourceforge...
Tarzan02

screenshot

Post by Tarzan02 »

different view in approaching planet

high orbit
middle orbit
low orbit
high altitude
middle altitude
low altitude
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

looks really cool, nice work :)
Eternl Knight wrote:Not to sound condescending, but I'm pretty sure the "Elite" in the project refers to the classic space-sim game called "Elite". Look it up on Wikipedia and you'll see that "IrrlichtElite" seems quite appropriate.

--EK
ah.. memories, sweet memories.. whenever I look up at a night sky it reminds me of the years I wasted playing Elite, Frontier and First Encounters. Still no word on Elite 4, I suppose I don't mind waiting *another* 10 years if it will be as good as the others.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Tarzan02

atmosphere effect

Post by Tarzan02 »

Now the density of the atmos is taken in count. It means that when you land on a planete with a lower density atmosphere you can see the moon or the other planet (screenshot to follow)
Tarzan02

Atmosphere effect

Post by Tarzan02 »

Now the atmosphere color depend on the date of the day (darker on evening and clear on day). all this realize with a shader => the upper side of the atmos has a little artefact, i'll try to correct it today. My children are happy for me (i think they prefered to play :P )
Tarzan02

Density atmosphere

Post by Tarzan02 »

This a screenshot showing the vision of a planet thru the atmosphere

BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Sugoi!
Tarzan02

Post by Tarzan02 »

sugoi ??? :?:
JRowe47

Post by JRowe47 »

Means great, cool, awesome, in Japanese. (I think)
Tarzan02

texture generation

Post by Tarzan02 »

High everybody, tonight i've written a shader which generate the planet texture. Now the pattern generated is almost random so when flying at low altitude, it's very pleasant. some screenshot to follow tomorrow...

good night 8)
Tarzan02

Post by Tarzan02 »

keep in memory the old screenshots, the next will be amazing (i hope :shock: )