Merging the BEST 3D engine with the BEST 2D engine EVER!!

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
guest1

Post by guest1 »

niko is so "proffesional" -- they couldn't even spell it right :)

Post by Guest »

Oh, you shouldn't laugh really, I wonder what level of pro they thought Niko was, or how many developers they thought are working on the engine. I have half a mind to post back "BTW, the engine was developed by ONE MAN, not even being paid for it!". I won't tho.
MDX

Post by MDX »

:shock: I really want to learn more about the GMIrrlicht dll. My msn is KosukeGW@Yahoo.com or you can E-Mail me at that address. :!:
doc

Post by doc »

thread is old but I have to post this, GameMaker is not only tool for 2D game development for non programers, there is also a "scrolling game development kit" I not sure if you can use any extra dll with this but SGDK is open source tool so probaply if there is't any dll suport you can add this function to a source or even merged with irrlicht
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

the answer to all this is very simple.

why would you want to merge a 2d engine and a 3d engine (that happens to also be a 2d engine)

there are NO 5d games and never will be 8)

hehe... as my newfoundland friend says...

Yes Bye!
Someone Special

Flaming a flame!

Post by Someone Special »

No 5D games? What? Almost every 3D game has a 2D menu at least!

Why is everyone so negative. I'm a huge GM fan - thats how I learnt about Irrlicht. And since I transfered a project of mine to Irrlicht 0.7 the event receiver wouldn't work. I reckon you idiots should stop flaming this suggestion and do some of your wonderful coding.

And "No learning curve" and "Took a while learning GML" doesn't acctual contradict each other. Incase you didn't notice Ace probably didn't know C++ / C at the time.
Masdus

Post by Masdus »

having a 2D GUI or menu in a 3D game does not equate to a 5D game, by its very nature 3D already incorporates 2D. For 5D you would need to add dimensions beyond 3D, such as the often mentioned time dimension.

Anyway it is unlikely that anyone here with the skill to merge the two programs will. GM is an excellent program for what is does, but i think it is likely that many on these boards would find it simply too restricting for use in their projects.

I look at it this way, GM would proably benifit if an irrlicht dll was completed as it could then provide 3D. This would of course benifit new programmers as they would have an easier way to make projects. However most of the current irrlicht users would not benifit, as they would be unable to port their project into GM. So while the dll might be a good idea, it is unlikely to get much support from people who are unlikely to use it.
Stupidegames

Post by Stupidegames »

well i am a gamemaker user (but id like to fiddle around with C++ and irrlicht around, and i find this forum quite interesting)

anyway, i have started a project on irrlicht, simply because its the only fast 3d thing in gamemaker (there are other engines, but they kill the framerate or they are just ugly).

and i think the quality of the engine is top notch, although i am behind (i am stuck with 0.6)

here is a link if you lot are interested: http://freehost19.websamba.com/stupideg ... t_beta.zip
controls: WASD+mouse for camera, home-deel-end-pgdwn for block movement

it also utilizes the ODE engine, also ported to gamemaker.

i use gamemaker simply because i dont want all that syntax crap, and object oriented programming is fine with me.

but i dont recommend any of you lot to use gamemaker if you can work around with c++ with ease, it kicks your framerate to 1 third because code is not compiled and the .exe file for a simple game is minimal 1.5 mb
MACARRAUM

Post by MACARRAUM »

Lol
Hy Stupidgames
How that you made the collision of the block with the level?
In the moment I am working in a newer version for GMIrrlicht
it will be called GMIrrlicht 0.71, this much faster one than my version 0.6, I am working in the attempt of placing all the functions of GUI and the new functions of Shaders
Dropping by guest

Post by Dropping by guest »

I fully agree with Ace! GM is great! It helped me coming into this industry and going from GML to C++ was peace a cake!

GM surely is the best 2D tool and Irrlicht is surely "one of the best" 3D Tools, I think merging those two is a great idea, but can easely go wrong! You surely need a good plan and some well advanced programmers to help!

Anyway I'm totally behind you and I'm sure many others are aswell! ;)

Post by Guest »

I think Intelligence is the 5th dimension.... 8)
Somebody

Post by Somebody »

1st length
2nd height
3rd depth
4rd time
... 5e Intelligence...? Could be...
MACARRAUM

Post by MACARRAUM »

could anybody help me saying as he makes himself or which is the code to create the device in Game Maker Window (child Window)?
NCZ

Post by NCZ »

I dont knoe much about GAME MAKER ? Is it also an
OPEN SOURCE engine ?

If not well....

I thought CDX library is the best 2D Direct-X wrapper which
is also an OPEN SOURCE.

The cool thing is want can be done under CDX can olso
be done in NIKO's engine.

irrlich engine is a "3D graphic engine" , when u say 3D engine
it is also capable of doing 2D wat so ever in much much better
way.

I DONT THINK, that 3D engine should be link together with a 2D
engine.

I THINK :

Million_Dollar_Game = irrlicht->raknet->audire->ode(
good coding, cool game concept, cool graphics & models )

This is the cool combiniation !!!!