iEng FPS

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Mercior

iEng FPS

Post by Mercior »

Since anarkavre posted a demo of his fps I decided to post a demo of mine :) Its still in early stages and as you'll see the weapon models skin looks very ugly (please include multi-texture support for .x in 0.7 niko!).

The demo is a simple level I've been making (maybe some of you will recognise it?) and it has a NPC character with a basic "walk around" ai.

Controls:
WASD = move
left mouse = shoot
right mouse = throw a box (for showing off the physics :p)
ins = toggle noclip

Features:
Irrlicht powered rendering!
Audiere powered sound
Newton powered physics
Built-in "editor"
Custom-made "entscript" scripting language for levels

Download:
http://www.mercior.com/files/ieng-r1.zip

Technical Info:
All the level events are controlled by the level script (data/maps/facility.ent). Try making a monster_spawn entity with "type skulk;" to see a different enemy type in action. It is possible to make action sequences by using callbacks such as spawn_callback which will call a script for you when the player kills a particular monster (or group of monsters). Theres an entscript function listing in data/maps/entscript.txt that briefly explains most of the commands & callbacks.

You can press f9 to draw entitys and you can press f12 to enter "edit mode" which pops up a menu that lets you create new entitys/animation paths and also lets you play back your spline animations. You can create spline paths by entering edit mode, selecting "new-spline animation", then returning from edit mode and pressing space to add spline points at your current location. You can export all your spline animations (edit, "export-spline animations") and paste them into your level script for playback :)

I think that selecting "new-monster spawner" in edit mode will cause crashes so beware! :p

Post by Guest »

very nice demo and cool physics! :) ...there should be sound effects when the boxes collide!
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

great!

:)

Now we have two fps projects, one loading x files, and the other loading...md2, maybe md3? ...

Good luck to both, they look quite promising...
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
Mercior

Post by Mercior »

Currently I'm using md2 but I will make the move to .x once the texture problem is fixed.

I've just updated the link - objects emit sound when they hit the environment now (and the volume depends on how hard they hit ! :))
Mercior

Post by Mercior »

Heres a cpl screnshots of the new editor & the new weapon - a shotgun

Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

I try and try, but i cannot get anything to work editor wise. I can get the spiles, but no entities, and no of the other thing in the editor. Awesome physics though, i've been having a blast stacking up stairways w/ boxes, and blowing my way through them :-)

Maybe that's just me though
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force
Mercior

Post by Mercior »

*** NEW VERSION HERE ***

+ The editor is a lot more functional now (all entitys have dialogs) and the editor is exporting fully working entfiles. It exports to data/maps/entfile.ent - you can rename this to facility.ent to use the new entfile.
+ I included a more impressive entfile :]
+ New weapon - shotgun. (press 1 for hmg, 2 for shotgun)
+ Player movement improved (but stairs are even worse now lol)
+ You can press the middle mouse button to throw a sphere
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

tested!

very nice :)

I see...loading anims of weapon seems md2....while it is still, maybe you replace it with an x file? as it only has the md2 trembling-wobbling while loading anims...perhaps also the tiny monsters, previous to die. When die, I see no more wobbling.

The soldier model looks good. Just the animation is like in slow motion,can you change the timing of an x animation by code ? Is it an md2? maybe I am wrong but saw no trembling on that model...

The box with physics brings me some memories... :)

a problem with texture in x files?

Do you mean...you can't:

a) assign/link a texture for weapon, and a texture for guy, while they are same mesh...then you could just export an animated mesh for the gun, and another for the guy.Provided you don't change the world coords of any, the animation of weapon will load in place, exactly as you concieved it...

b) A more sofisticated thing: you want overlapped textures, or blended textures -to say better- so that seams are better hidden, and have subtle effects.I see this more for terrains, grass&mud...as for characters or fps scenery and objects, you do the layers in your 2d software, and later smash it all into a single texture. I allways map my models in one only texture space. Even several objects sharing same texture, can be done :)

c) x file in irrlitch do not load textures at all????? I think I already saw tests where the texture was loaded...

I am in the proccess of purchasing certain software+ plugin for x export(I'm eager to handle it..)...I could just use Character Fx, but I am ambitious and want even more power... most possibly, will as well use x exporter for blender, I am seing now it gets alive again...

Did you use halfife bsp, quake3 bsp, or, even more exciting.. generated your self the lightmaps using some free tool and loading with an x file for the scenery... ? :)
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
Mercior

Post by Mercior »

Yeah everything is md2 but I'll switch to .x for 0.7 - when the .x loader can load a model that has more than 1 texture map. The HMG model actually has 5 textures and I've tried to group it and make a new UVW map in 3dsm and milkshape but with no luck.

I know the soldiers animation seems a little weird.. the model isnt fantastic, i nicked it from a half life mod (hence the dodgy animation, because it is deisgned to have multiple animations blended together) ;) I'll have a look around and find some better models..

I made the map in radiant and compiled to a q3 bsp..Irrlicht can't load half life bsp's afaik (which is a shame!).
guest_vermeer

Post by guest_vermeer »

but the fact is most times a weapon is mapped as much with a single texture, as well as a character...

well, if there are movile parts like in first person weapon...maybe a piece for each piece...But all the remaining, welded in a piece.

After all, you could map all in one texture, hand included. Is just you may need a bigger texture, like 1024x1024.

oh, and causing several meshes to overlap, may lead to bad shading, but what the heck :)

it look nice.

You should be able even to use several objects sharing same texture...
usually is just long hours uv mapping...
but as you are doing the coding, and absolutely all, you already are doing way too much...

All looks ok, imho. I just said the timming, as the model is not bad, it'll gain once fixed.