Hi, I don't have my specs and stuff posted yet, but I tried the first 2 versions. I thought it was pretty hard too, but one day I changed the control scheme and I was suddenly pretty good (could've been a combination of practice and coincidence too...). I used my gamepad (Logitech DUAL ACTION), and set the left/right D-pad (the 4 direction things like on NES controllers) to steering, and the up/down analog stick to accelleration & brake - it felt VERY confortable. (I'll also note that the right analog stick and the left d-pad were the only gamepad controls that the game would detect - the left analog stick and all the buttons don't do anything.)
Some very nitpicky suggestions you MIGHT want ot look into:
1) Configuable buttons for the menu - it's a little odd to have to put down the controller between each race, it'd be nice to be able to navigate with the d-pad & a button exactly the same way as with the arrow keys & Enter.
2) The finish line is hard to see, so you have to remember where it is - it'd be nice to have a checkered line on the ground, or something else that's not so overused.
3) Why are the trail particles shaped like vertical ellipses? It looks weird how all the particles have big spaces between them...
Like I said, very nitpicky suggestions. Great game =]
As for performance - very smooth at 1280x1024 resolution with all options on highest. Unfortuately my graphics card is old, so antialising did not work. Also, there were some major problems with the textures for me (some models' textures get screwed up close to the camera, some models get weird lighting, sometimes the menu screen and/or loading screens get insanely messed up), but closing the program fixes it (temporarily, sometimes) - and I'm very convinced that it's 100% due to my messed up old graphics card and/or drivers which have caused weird problems in other games in which no one else has ever reported. So don't worry about it =p
Oh yes, one more complaint (that might have been fixed already): at the start of the race, or after you unpause it, it is often very choppy - sometimes so choppy that some messed up stuff happens. Often the camera will not move to the starting line for the first few seconds before the race starts (it will look at part of the track in the distance at a horizontal orientation... I can get a screenshot if it's not fixed).
Well, I guess I'll try out 1.5 now...
Ok, tried 1.5... does it get easier each version, or am I just getting better? =P
Still the same choppyness-at-start-of-race bug, I can't notice a difference with anything else either.
A couple more tiny suggestions that don't really matter:
4) The music stops when loading the race, which is all well and good... but maybe it shouldn't start back up again when it's done loading?
5) The sound affects seem a little 2D... it'd be nice if hitting a left wall made the sound come more from the left speaker, and same with other cars passing you, etc.. Or maybe it already does, and I just didn't notice.
Well, fun game, but I wish I had more of the levels (maybe someday!). The only thing besides that that I can think of that would make it REALLY amazing (but hugely ambitious) would be splitscreen multiplayer. And I must say, great graphics, really shows off Irrlicht's capabilites (and your team's artistry, of course!)