H-Craft Championship now on Android

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Warchief

Post by Warchief »

Nice looking, nice integration, nice opponents and complete game.
Bad point goes to hard control.

Veredict: One of the best Irr games. Congratz
Warchief's Warboard 3D Now hotseat release
Monochrome

Post by Monochrome »

This game is trully amazing. Chalenging and good looks. Finally someone is unveilling the true potential of irrlicht.
zeno60

Post by zeno60 »

That was truly satisfying to play, very fun also. Only played the first 3 races: training, and two against opponents. Got the hang of the controls after a while, kicked some ass. 8) Love the no barriers, really makes you have to break and accelerate around corners. Reminded me a little of a race game I used to play, I want to say Wipeout, but can't remember exactly. Are you going to add power-ups/weapons to the full version?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Wow, incredible game. Even better than the images you gave before. But yes, the control (via keyboard) is too hard. At least I did not really finish any run without falling down several times. It's the major drift I think.
TheRLG

Post by TheRLG »

Worked very nicely under Linux. Good job!
jam

Post by jam »

Great! Need to find my gamepad or joystick as this game is just screaming for one. :D
system-independent, adj.:
Works equally poorly on all systems.
-- unknown
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

It is a nice game indeed, although I've falling down several times. :lol:
Anyway, did you imported your map into the irredit and make the shadow map, etc.? And is there any normal map and specular map? Just curious... :)
HondaDarrell

Post by HondaDarrell »

This is one of the best irr games I've seen.
I liked the use of analog control. Much easier to get the hang of.
Thank you for sharing.
Ninja Star - 1% Complete | Ninja Assault - 3% Complete | Space Pirate - 10% Complete
gfxstyler

Post by gfxstyler »

it's not one of the best, it's actually the best irrlicht game ever made, fools! :D

common, now everyone should be up to beat this one!
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Oh wow, thanks for all the feedback! Now, that's gonna be a long answer :-)

First a plead: I've met some of you already in the chat, but it would really help us if we could get some info's from the others who played it. Press <F11> in the game to get a FPS display. Please tells us how much FPS you get and tell us some system information about the computer on which it did run. Mine for example would look like that:

FPS: FPS between 30 and 40 with default settings. 60 FPS with 800x600 resolution.
System: Kanotix (Debian Linux Sid) and Windows 98 (no joke)
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2600+
Card: GeForce 6200
Memory: 512 MB Ram

Some problems have been found by now (thanks to bitplane, gfxstyler and Monochrome for finding them). We're working on another beta to fix those issues:
- It will crash when you press <space> or <enter> in the game and the "Start" button still has the focus. This will actually happen each time when you clicked that button with the mouse and press one of that keys in game. Currently avoid crashes by not pressing those keys in game or by starting the game using exactly those keys in the menu.
- The <Auto> resolution in the graphic settings won't work on linux. It will just use the last resolution which was selected.
- the screensaver is not disabled
- some problems with mipmaps on intel 945gm express chipset

About controls and steering:

The best way to play it is probably with an analog joypad - no denying that. But i've also completed all tracks with keyboard quite often and can give you one hint: Do change the default settings. We used the arrow-keys as default, because everyone seems to expect those. But the game can be played far better with 2-hand-settings. I play usually with <left> for brake and <down> for acceleration and do the left, right steering with two keys which can be reached good with the left hand.

Another common problem is that many players seem to except more of an "arcade" style of steering, while we decided to use more of an "simulation" style of control. Our reason for doing so was, that this allows players to get a better intuitive feeling for the controls in the long run. Unfortunatly it needs some time to get used to that. So far we've found no way to avoid that, so if you've got an idea...

@zeno60: We discussed already it already in chat, but lets tell everybody: The focus in our game is completly on racing. So the full version will deliver far more challenging tracks. What you're playing now are basicly the tracks to learn the game. The last level in the demo does already give you an idea of what to expect, but it's still just one of the medium tracks.

@Virion: irrEdit did not exist when we started developing this game. Also i'm working mostly on linux so i've not actually checked it out yet. What we are using is a combination of dynamic light, speculars and lightmaps. The lightmaps are baked in maya and we are using a slightly modified .obj format to merge a .obj with lightmaptextures with a normal .obj file.
Anubis

Post by Anubis »

Lovely Lovely~ :wink: :wink:

You did a very good job~~!!
It is a very good e.g for demostrating the power of irr~!!

By the way~
How long is the development time of this game??

Add my config and tested result~

C-T 1.3Ghz
PC100 512Mb ram
Gf ti4200 128Mb ram~

fps 1x-3x @1024x768
Antialiasing: off
Texture Filter: Anisotropic
Last edited by Anubis on Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Desktop- (my box, hand built by a gamer kid a few years ago)
AMD athalon xp 3000, fx5900xt, 768mb ram- 30-60fps @ 1280x1024

Laptop- (sony vaio)
Intel 1.4ghz mobile (2mb cache), Intel 945gm express, 1gb ram- 20-30fps @ 1360x768

Desktop 2 (modern, but cheap dell)
AMD64 32000, onboard graphics, 512mb ram - 30-50fps @ 1280x1024

Desktop 3 (very old!)
AMD Duron 900, ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra (32mb!), 128mb ram - 5-8fps @ 800x600

bugs:
sound not working in linux (opensuse)
change desktop display mode to 640x480, then back to auto, then quit - causes screen to get stuck in 640x480.
the texture bug i posted in bug reports

damn fine game :)
ps) too hard for my dad, but i dont think gamers will have a problem with it!
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
jam

Post by jam »

Desktop-(built by me)

AMD 64 X2 4400+, nVidia 6800 GT, 2GB ram, Windows 2000

60 - 62 FPS @ 1280 x 1024
60 - 63 FPS @ 640 x 480

Antialiasing: on
Texture Filter: Anisotropic
Antialiasing: on
system-independent, adj.:
Works equally poorly on all systems.
-- unknown
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

I've just put beta version 1.3 online (http://www.irrgheist.com/beta_demos.htm). Most bugs are fixed.

I don't know how to handle the problem with the intel chipset as it seems to be a driver problem. As a small bugfix i made it possible to disable mipmaps in the file media/config.xml. Within <graphics> set mip="0" and they will be disabled.

Also i don't know yet what's causing the problem with sound on opensuse.

@anubis: Next week it will be a year development time.
ErUs

Post by ErUs »

Looks like 256 colours on this crappy dell GF4 MX420

tried messing with renderer (OGL/DX) and bitdepth but still like this