Irrlicht Wrapper for FreeBasic

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
alabaster

Post by alabaster »

Thanks for the reply. I'm just missing zumlin.md2 for some reason it seems
imagination304

Post by imagination304 »

Hi Frank Dodd,

Is it possible to exit the running program
without using Task manager?

Thanks in advance
Sammy
alabaster

Post by alabaster »

imagination304 wrote:Hi Frank Dodd,

Is it possible to exit the running program
without using Task manager?

Thanks in advance
Sammy
  • FB key events, send keys to console window while running, catch in render loop with inkey$
  • Irrlicht key events, Start with IRR_CAPTURE_EVENTS, set up a key event handler in the render loop to exit when a certain key is pressed (see example 14)
  • Alt+F4
  • Close button on the window if running in windowed mode and without mousehiding
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

Hi Guys,

I have made a small update to this release which exposes a command to set the camera's up direction (essential for flight simulators).

But the main reason for the release was to include a very alpha version of Linux Support. It appears to be fully functional but my linux development environment is new to me and quite primitive at the moment.

Copy the libIrrlichtWrapper.so and libIrrlicht.so to a directory in your library path.

You may need to create a symbolic link for libIrrlichtWrapper.so to libIrrlichtWrapper.so.0.4.0 and likewise for libIrrlicht

You should now be able to compile and run the examples in the IrrlichtWrapper directory. For any reasonable performance you are going to need to have hardware OpenGL support installed.
Last edited by Frank Dodd on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
neotoma

Post by neotoma »

Thanx to Frank for the IrrlichtWrapper.

I make the Wrapper also available for PureBasic.

And i improved it to use some features from Irrlicht 1.1.

You can see/download it at : IrrlichtWrapper v.1.0

I tried to contact Frank Dodd (via email an PM), but no response. So all new Features are only for PureBasic available.

I will update and improve the Wrapper. But i think it would be better to make it more OpenSource-Like (sourceforge) and enable the Wrapper for
some languages (FreeBasic, PureBasic , BlitzMax ?, Delphi ? )
So it good to work together with Frank. But i got no response....

Mike
BMarleyFR

Post by BMarleyFR »

I made an include for FreeBasic for your last Irrlichtwrapper

see http://www.irrlicht.fr (download section)

I made the IrrKlang wrapper and his include for FreeBasic also on the last link ;)

have fun

BMarley
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

Hi everyone I have changed the original post to reflect the current release of the IrrlichtWrapper v0.6 also if anyone wants to lift out any of my scenenodes feel free.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Cool, nice to see the project is still alive ;)
Is 0.6 irrlicht1.5-compatible? Or is it still 1.1?

Thanks Frank, it's nice to hear from you again.

regards,
Alvaro
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

Thanks Afecelis and hello again, I have been fairly active on the Irrlicht Thread on the FreeBasic forum but I have been a bit negligent with updates here.

The Irrlicht DLL used with this version of the wrapper is 1.4.2 I haven't been able to put the time aside to update it to 1.5 yet.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Ahhhh! then I should keep an eye on the Freebasic forums! ;) Your wrapper is great. It deserves all the attention since it's a great alternative to those not interested in dealing with C++. I consider it one of the best wrappers available for Irrlicht :D

Frank could you please post the link to the forums where your wrapper is being discussed?

I'm testing this new version out and I shall be bothering you if I run into any problems ;)

Looking forward to that 1.5 update.

regards,

Alvaro.

Ps. Oh yes, it's also very nice to see you again. :)
GameDude

Post by GameDude »

I was playing around with this eariler and I have to say, this is pretty good for being written in Freebasic, I thought it would be slow, but it seems to run at good speeds, although my comp is more recent and has a lot of power
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

It is great! And it runs great! :) It gives you the graphic power of Irrlicht by using a very simple language.

Here's a small test I'm working on using a scene I created long time ago for testing Irrlicht:
http://files.wildspad.com/afecelis/irrl ... /IrrFB.zip

WASD to navigate, ALT+F4 to quit.

The wrapper's forum at FreeBasic is also very active and contains lots of good info ;) :
http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

And Frank is planning to launch a new release soon.

regards,
Alvaro
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

Hi there and thanks again Alvaro, I did promise to keep an eye here and then suddenly got bogged down in double shifts at work that I hope to complete off in the next week.

The performance of FreeBasic is quite impressive I thought there was going to be a performance hit myself when I started playing about with it but I was very surprised and after writing some test applications in C and Basic I found I was having a hard time keeping up with it in C.

Its certainly worth trying out.

The level is looking very cool Alvaro, its looks like a great little elven like city scape that has been emptied by Quakers ready for rolling around in their usual frag fest activities :D.

The level runs amazingly well even though its not loaded as an octree and the geometric architechture and detailed folliage is very effective.

I am looking forward to seeing how you take that scene onwards and what you make out of it but even as it is its a great way for demonstrating your artistic works. Thanks for sharing.

Frank
Last edited by Frank Dodd on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Thanks Frank! :D

It wouldn't be as nice without Irrlicht's power and your wrapper's integration (and your hard work).

I'm also very impressed by Fbasic's performance, the small size of its executables and the cleanliness of its code (BASIC, after all).
Feel free to plague the level with goblins and create a virtual boot attached to the camera to kick their arses off! lol! ;)

I'm really very excited and impressed by your wrapper and I'm looking forward to your next version. I'll also try to help as much as I can on the testing side (win/Linux), so count me in if there's anything I can help out with.

regards,
Alvaro
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Just added basic collision, check vid here:
http://files.wildspad.com/afecelis/irrl ... 3d_col.zip

cheers! ;) Freebasic+Irrlicht rule!