TrueType font Support by FreeType Library

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
hendu

Re: TrueType font Support by FreeType Library

Post by hendu »

As far as I understand, the serialization only concerns the .irr scene format. I wonder how many users don't need that functionality? Has there been a poll etc?
Nalin

Post by Nalin »

robmar wrote:Or maybe a post with the classes and some simple guidance. I looked at the mentioned aboive "viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37296" but its not so easy to follow without documentation or an example.
What part of my thread confused you? I would like to know so I can make the examples more clear. Was it an issue with using the classes, or just getting the system set up? If you just want to use TrueType fonts, it doesn't require any modification to Irrlicht; you just have to add the files to your project and #include "irrUstring.h" and #include "CGUITTFont.h".
Last edited by Nalin on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
robmar

Post by robmar »

yes, we all have those same thoughts I think. there is a saying, the 5 Ps, maybe you know it?! :) Looking at MFC serialization, that seems to work well and is easy to expand to any type, on any platform, fits well with OO programming styles, maybe that could be a model for Irrlicht, or is there another serialization method in place elsewhere that could be copied? So much to do, if there´s a good "wheel" out there, copy it, license allowing.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

hendu wrote:As far as I understand, the serialization only concerns the .irr scene format.
No, it's used a lot more. It's used in the gui-editor, it's used for some script-interfaces, it's used in irrEdit (and other editors as well I think), basically it's used by anyone who needs serialization be it to disk or over the network and doesn't want to write his own and also it's sometimes used when people want to access all object-attributes as it's still for some attributes the only way to access them (especially the only way to access attributes with type-information).
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm