AUTOMAPUV~ An automatic UV script for blender map makers.

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

sorry i didnt give that answer straight away, i guess i was too lazy :oops:
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Ok while texturing my level i found that i needed to texture many objects simulataneously(stairs) so im making a script that coppies an objects texturing tto other selected objects
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

nice feature. A sure time saver :wink:

Ok, fixed the files. I don't know if my error is in the <string> part. I'm getting less errors now:

here are my modded files. Search for your name in the comments to check the things I added:
http://afecelis.gdlib.net/Irrlicht/source.zip
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Ahhh didnt see the scoping there sorry.

add

irr::scene::ISceneManager * e_scene;

to the octloader.h

then e_scene=scene;
in octloader.cpp instiliser (first function)

then change scene to e_scene in the error line
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

thanks, but I got no idea where to add: :oops:

Code: Select all

in octloader.h; in the public section of the file?

nor would I know where to place:

e_scene=scene;
properly. Sorry, but if you could help me as with line numbers or other hints like "under *****" or something like that.

Remember omaremad programming is not my field :wink: I just try not to drown in it with the lifesavers you guys give me every now and then!
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

I really dont want to say line numbers because they change but the best indicator is when is say in the public section put it directly after

public:
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

oh yes, no problem with lines to go in the public section; my main concern now is where to add:

in octloader.h, and e_scene=scene;

just what I said in my last post. :(

I'll trial-error it. :wink:
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

in the public: in octloader.h

octloade.cpp

instiliser(first function)

add

e_scene=scene;

why not go on the irrlicht irc, its allot easier to debug and discuss things there, this thread is getting huge with us talking in short posts
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Ok i just done a couple of tests and it weems till now i managed to pass the texcoords of lightmaps to my infinte lights dynamic shader, BUT only on my3d and FSRAD :D ill try deled but bsps dont seem to work nicely

here is a picture of the scene made by blender and fsrad only with the shader, the lightmaps are still used and are not lost when put through the shader, no bumpmaps binomials, specularity maps required

afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Dunno how much it may interest you, but I just ran into this "shadow baking" script at blenderartist forums:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73591

I guess it will also grab Vermeers attention. :wink:
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

hmmm, i cant really undersatnd this script but it looks like you would have to bake the vertex colours it geneerates into a texture? if so you would have to do mannual uv and the one big etxture problem............the same problems written in my big post
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

Yup, but...I have worked in several game companies. Trust me, is often used big textures and manual UVs also for lightmaps. Indeedy, the packages have auto modes in their "manual" editors. No biggy knowing certain tricks. But all ways lead to Rome...eveything is possible and doable in anyway...

I indeed have allways used smooth groups with normal mapped levels at game companies. Also the plugins where c++ inhouse made, direct conections to the game engine, porting every freaking feature of the Max/Maya scene...they coders did em in just a few days...

BUT...I admit that FSRAD has the best partitioning system I have seen for free, and it kills a load of work in general...But please consider there are art side tricks to do "manual" stuff not as manual..

Indeed...last stuff I spoke with Murphy was..well, he was in the line of using FSRAD partitioning system but inside a lightmapper which used these features as well.

I didn't reply tho I had several points where I could as I see you'r very convinced.. ;)
...and 'cause actually I was a bit of hijaking the thread.. ;)

I purchased Giles long ago...it allows me keep smooth groups mesh which came from the modeler, or even rebuild normals there...and it calculates the radiosity lightmap (and let me edit with it applied in real time 3d, which is cool) , besides it calculates the UVs automatically...What I think it doesn't do is a similar to fsrad great partitioning. But a ful train station has been done with it, and did seem run inside not uber powerful machine...

About the python script for blender, am unsure on what it does...But anything is welcome in Blender in lightmapping. True that seems mostsolutions involve radiosity and vertex colors baking in texture, so, huge subdivision neeedd, changes to the mesh (or use extra mesh..) while I at Giles or Max(or lmmaker, or...) just apply a lightmap in my low pol mesh, and export the tga...
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Any way i just mentioned fsrad because not every one can afford giles and pals.

And most people here just want quick results and dont have the time,or in my case the skill to create master pieces for levels.

Note: my objection to big textures was from a performance point of view since as texture compression gets more popular larger textures ussually yield worse looking results.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

wow, old thread...

well, I allways that i give an advice is thinking on the listener can at the end reach the maximum quality if keeps at it. Giles is dunno if 39 or 50$..Is not much for many countries but depending among other things in money exchange, that can be a lot, I admit it. To me, it did worth the purchase. Is a bit more than a month of dsl connection...

Anyway, now that you retake this allways interesting matter...I was testing again Lmmaker 0.39, as u know, is free...well, I had sort of a nightmare to force it import as single surfeace, it keeps trying to break every triangle as a mesh a part...reason why may Afe did find it slow...in import, seems most formats are broken..At least I tried hard with OBJ , x, 3ds.There must be a trick, but i didn't discover it. Why was I fighting to it? To provide ppl a free fullmethod, as it has smoothing support, which also allows b3d export! Which would be terrificly good for the great Luke's B3d loader for irrlicht. Anyone not minding much the flatten shading ( ;) ) can use tho Slimshady, as it is fully free and outputs b3d levels.
Lmmaker can do lightmaps supporting smooth shading, which is great. But there seem to be no way to import as single piece meshes, so smoothing is impossible , at least in my tries...a royal pitty. I can perfectly output full b3d levels with unwrap3d and giles, is not for me, but users here. Indeed, would love if it'd load in Wine as well for linux users...If I get the way to import full piece objs from wings or Anim8or, I'll tell here....

A bit OT but interesting and related, anyway...

About fsrad partitioning system; absolutely superb, no doubt abaout that.

Anyway, I have lightmapped in 3ds max. You can customize the whole thing a lot and finally have small lightmaps covering all...
In Giles I am maybe less experienced, but maybe as it keeps it quite simple ;)

Anyway, I'd like to have a test on the Niko's new lightmapper, whenever I have the time...but I think for now is only available in irredit. That'd surely be best way for irrlicht projects, as the connection is safely ensured.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
Anup

Post by Anup »