What is a good level editor for irrlicht?

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
desmasic

Post by desmasic »

I have some questions for you guys..

I have tried radiant and all (have created maps for Doom3/Quake 4 as well) and still, I want to know if I can just create levels in MAX, texture them (of course) and then export them directly to be used in Irrlicht?

Same goes for static objects placement in the world. Just set them up in MAX itself. If all this isn't possible, please recommend softwares to me that I can use along with 3dsMAX to create levels/objects and then use them in Irrlicht directly. Unlike max, I have the license for the older version of PS (6.0) to work with textures and all, so that's not a problem.

Another thing. To use local maps and specular maps in Irrlicht, do I need some specific software or can use default materials in max to assign them to an model and use them in-game?

Thanks.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

yup, model in max, place some lights, render to texture and export to .my3d (exporter included with irrlicht). Irrlicht supports my3d natively.
Or you can model your stuff in your 3d packege of choice, export to 3ds or oj, load in Giles, lightmap in Giles and also export to my3d (exporter included in Irrlicht as well). This is a much cheaper and yet very efficient option.

Dig around, there are lots of info about my3d on these forums.

my3d:
http://my3dproject.nm.ru/

giles:
http://www.frecle.net/giles/
desmasic

Post by desmasic »

Thanks for the links :)

Will check them out (and search a bit more.. though I did find some interesting stuff after posting here).
hellbound

Post by hellbound »

I just have a question.

What can I use as a level editor, but I don't want BSP. I want to create dynamic levels - interactible levels. Let's say that I want to destroy a wall from a level. You can't do that with BSPs. I need a more flexible map format... can anyone help me?
AaronA

Post by AaronA »

You could make your own flat-file format that would list objects something like...

Code: Select all

destructable_wall_1:pos_x:pos_y:model.3ds
Then load everything seperatly so you have direct control over each `object` (like a wall to a building, when shot it plays the `exploding` animation). This requires you to position things with Irrlicht and not a 3d modeler though.

However you do it, you have to have direct access to each object that can be interactive (object beeing models object). With things like a bsp, the level is just whole (ie; you can't grab the wall model from it).
hellbound

Post by hellbound »

that means scene editing by an editor made in irrlicht?
CodeDog

Post by CodeDog »

Use a bsp for the things that are not destructible like the floor, you know so they don't fall through the world. Then make everything else as a scene node that’s added to the scene. Normally you would use separate nodes for things like movable doors and MOBs that walk around, but there is no reason that you can't make your walls the same way. You could even have walls that fall over and break apart when you shoot them. For example make a model of a brick. Use a scene editor like irrEdit to make a wall of brick nodes. Add Newton to each brick node. Hit the wall with a fast moving object with a high Newton mass. Watch the wall fly apart in a realistic manner.
Warning: For large walls, Low end systems need not apply :)
Valtras

Post by Valtras »

Use any 3d editor to make landscape and buildings on it ( don't use heightmap - it sucks for FPP/TPP, although it's good for RTS... ). I prefer blender for map modelling (Gothic-styled outdoor with some indoors map ). To put items and scenery such as containers, tables, charis, and other interactive stuff, make your own editor that will put items nad edit their stats (e.g. npc's hp, capacity of footlocker and other details ). It's really very easy to model level in blender (extruding, subdividing, merging... )
notor

tutorials

Post by notor »

Maybe we could create links to good tutorials about making maps? I will start us off, i found a tutorial for 3dsMAX for making maps for Unreal.

http://fordy.planetunreal.gamespy.com/g ... tents.html
raven_coda

Post by raven_coda »

Which of these are able to genrate hieghtmaps and the terrain texture like in the terrain map tutorial?
Definition of an Upgrade: Take old bugs out, put new ones in.
hellbound

Post by hellbound »

you could use irredit when it reaches a non-beta version...
from what i have seen this far it seems to be pretty good ;)

but why not create the levels in 3ds max and export them into your object of choice (my3d preferrably, or obj...) , import the map into irrlicht and add interactive environment elements by hand ...

or you could do this to help you out:

code an application that could help you determine the coordinates for the objects you want to place, and place them by hand... a lot less buggy this way ;) and it seems to be pretty efficient in theory ;)

but i still don't understand how i can do this:

let's say that i make a 3ds model with two independent spheres.
and i want those spheres to have different textures... how do i do that in irrlicht?
hellbound

Post by hellbound »

@ raven_coda

i wouldn't recommend you to use heightmaps...
there is an annoying feature or bug in the heightmap system in irrlicht:

as you go further and further from a hill let's say, there is a decrease in the number of polygons of the elements that are far from you... and it's annoying...
i still don't know if it's a bug, or a feature to optimise the performance...
if it's a feature, then it would be ideal that i could control it properly...

i dunno really
seppuku arts

Post by seppuku arts »

Deled is a good proggy, but there are others.

If you got some cash, and want to do game modelling in general, I'd go for Softimage|XSI, it is packed with tools perfect for game making, not to mention the baking capabilities (Baking is like lightmapping) For only $500 it is quite the bundle I think. I know most people say 3DS Max is the ultimate app for gaming, but thats just nonsense, the best app is the best app for the user, as for gaming, Softimage|XSI is becoming the prefered tool and is competing against 3DSMax in that industry of CG.
Running into walls is not a good idea...Trust me
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

I have been modelling in blender lately. And I am trying to make levels for my games in there and I have a test level but how/and what do I export to with blender that will work with Irrlicht. Also is Irrlicht good for a high-poly FPS or is it just good for a low-poly Quake II type game??
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

i suggest just exporting it to .x and just using that format works well for me.