What is a good level editor for irrlicht?

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
wildrj

Post by wildrj »

one that hasnt been metioned was rhino3d i just got it and its fun to use but it is way diffrent then what everyone is used to check it out :D
http://www.rhino3d.com
John Diasparra

Post by John Diasparra »

L3DT is really good.

Get L3DT and the plugin to export it as a .DMf, then u can import it into irrEdit and place trees, and what not into the landscape.
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

1)I was wondering if there`s a big difference in the performance in the different file formats. Which one offers us best calculation speed, including good and fast collision and lightmaps? A BSP map of about 10 000 trigs runs descently good on my pretty old PC. How about 20 000 or 30 000 without any additional optimisation? .X? .3ds? Any other?

2)Which will be better for huge indoor levels collision? The build-in Irrlicht collision or with some physics( Newton )?

3) Is there a way of scaling up a .BSP map? ( Yeah, I know I can scale down the models too )
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

shadowslair wrote:1)I was wondering if there`s a big difference in the performance in the different file formats. Which one offers us best calculation speed, including good and fast collision and lightmaps? A BSP map of about 10 000 trigs runs descently good on my pretty old PC. How about 20 000 or 30 000 without any additional optimisation? .X? .3ds? Any other?
Well I wouldn't say that the format exactly dictates how the triangles/lightmaps are rendered, and it definitely won't affect it for collision.
shadowslair wrote:2)Which will be better for huge indoor levels collision? The build-in Irrlicht collision or with some physics( Newton )?
Your best of with the PhysX physics engine, or the Bullet physics engine. Irrlicht's collision is basically just for quick prototyping, and to eliminate the need for beginners to integrate a physics engine/collision engine.
shadowslair wrote:3) Is there a way of scaling up a .BSP map? ( Yeah, I know I can scale down the models too )
Hmm, you could set the scale on the scene node in Irrlicht, could you not?
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
leebojammin

Post by leebojammin »

John Diasparra wrote:L3DT is really good.

Get L3DT and the plugin to export it as a .DMf, then u can import it into irrEdit and place trees, and what not into the landscape.
Users should however be aware of the differences between 'stasndard' and all others before they download and use, but at least they offer a 'free' one.

It looks like alot of thought went into irrEDIT so I suspect that is something you should look at seriously as its meant for this engine and it looks like it pretty much does it all.

cheers
nl
Zedith

Post by Zedith »

Well I love DeleD. www.delgine.com
It's really good for modelling maps like quake has..
Flexxx

Post by Flexxx »

The Quake map format organizes the triangles in convex groups...
but Irrlicht does not use this method for optimize the data for rendering or collision detection. So why should I use an editor, which compiles a map to an BSP tree? I know, I don't have to do this, but ist the only reason of this possibility compability? Has the Quake BSP format compared with other formats(for example 3ds, obj, x) any advantage?
geckoman

Post by geckoman »

Hi,

I am new here and I have an additional question to the main question: With using one of these editors, I can only build a Level, but what if I want to place objects like Items, NPCs etc. in it for an RPG Game e.g.? How can I do this?
Btw. I'm not new to programming itself.

If someone feels like answering in German, PM me or something :D
JP

Post by JP »

Make your map in a modelling program and then use IrrEdit to set up your map with items and objects.
Image Image Image
geckoman

Post by geckoman »

Thank you. After one week of searching and asking this is the first friendly and really helpfull answer I got in any forum :D
m3ltd0wn

Post by m3ltd0wn »

use Blender + irrb (exporter) to make your map, then export it to irr file, then import it in irrEdit and add some motion :) and you have a nice level :)
Josh1billion

Post by Josh1billion »

I think irrEdit should be at the top of the list in this thread. :) (rather than at the bottom of the first page)
www.JoshForde.com

Latest release: Super Orbulite World.
In development: Season of Dreams and others
wahagn

Post by wahagn »

if i try to download DeleD 3D Editor with download.com i see: Free to try; $59.95 to buy ....

is it than free if i download it ??
Pyritie

Post by Pyritie »

EarthSculptor's demo seems to be good for making terrain. It can export a heightmap, texture map... everything you'll need. :D

Only problem with the demo though is that you can only have maps up to 256x256. Full version is $50 and supports up to 4096x4096. :shock:

Also if you run it on vista, turn off desktop composition and stuff otherwise it'll crash a lot! D:
Hive Workshop | deviantART

I've moved to Ogre.
Malgodur

Post by Malgodur »

Hello guys.. im looking for good level editor for me. Im experienced with gtkradiant, made a lot of ET/quake/cod maps... I tried irredit but is seems useless for me. I also worked with milkshape and lighrray 3d, but lightray dont work properly on my Vista...

i wonder is it possible to extend irrlicht quake3 bsp loader, let it load all lights, scene nodes, every game item, character etc....