A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
afecelis
Admin

Latest tut on Quake 3 maps

Post by afecelis »

GTKRADIANT FOR IRRLICHT
or
“YES, YOU CAN CREATE Q3 MAPS WITHOUT HAVING QUAKE INSTALLED”

Update of a previous "howto". Template project and pdf tutorial included (codeblocks+msvctoolkit 2003 required-or adapt it to your IDE) .

Grab it here:
http://files.wildspad.com/afecelis/irrl ... quake3.zip

:D
Last edited by afecelis on Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Just tried it out with Latest GtkRadiant 1.5.0 and it also works great; although by installing 1.4.0 first you get the extra textures and maps. :wink:
finger007

Post by finger007 »

Nice, Afecelis!
Thanks for your work - its gr8!

B.t.w. - u changed to mac or is it flyakite? :wink:
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

My pleasure, Finger! :wink: I'm glad you found it useful.
B.t.w. - u changed to mac or is it flyakite?
Hehehe, no, not yet. So far I'm using Windows and Linux only. It's STYLEXP, a shell swaper that enables the Panther look (similar to Linux's Baghira). :wink:
Although I got a friend who's driving me nuts with Mac,; Everyday: Mac is this, Mac is that, Windows is not this, Windows is not that, arrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!

Though, I'm still not sure if I should get at least a Mac Mini for testing purposes.
finger007

Post by finger007 »

It's STYLEXP, a shell swaper that enables the Panther look (similar to Linux's Baghira). Wink
Just had a look at it. Well, flyakite is free. But be warned, it changes quite a lot in your xp (in case you wanna try, of course...)!
http://osx.portraitofakite.com/
Although I got a friend who's driving me nuts with Mac,; Everyday: Mac is this, Mac is that, Windows is not this, Windows is not that, arrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!
LoL. Same with me. But thats usual for people coming from graphics and ads :)
Good luck with your resistance - its gonna be reeeeaaaaal hard :)

But I'm going off-topic here...

Post by Guest »

May you explain it to me (howto make q3 maps with q3radiant but without quake3 installed)..?

Maybe i'm just stupid, but i didnt get it :oops:
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

did you at least read the pdf tutorial?

The idea is to use an Irrlicht template project with an executable called "quake3.exe" and mimmick the quake3 directory structure to trick Gtkradiant into thinking we got a working Quake3 game. This way all you got to do is add your textures in and map your level, texture it, compile it, then create a pk3 file that will run with the template app.

It's really all explained in the tut. Take 5 to read it.

Post by Guest »

no, i didnt found the tutorial...
Where can i find it?
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

On the link above...
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

http://files.wildspad.com/afecelis/irrl ... quake3.zip
this file includes the pdf tutorial and the template project. You'll need to DL Gtkradiant from:
http://www.qeradiant.com

edited: radian'ts site seems to be down! weird.... :shock:
"This domain name expired on 03/29/2006 and is pending renewal or deletion"

you can still find the latest Nightly Builds here:
http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/files/ra ... 5/?C=S;O=A
Last edited by afecelis on Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:14 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post by Guest »

lol.
Time for glasses -.-

I'll try it, thanks!
scherten

Post by scherten »

hello,

great tutorial!
it would really be nice to have irrlicht closely integrated with gtkradiant. Is it possible to mount a filesystem (directory instead of the .pk3) so the quake3 template program could find the textures?.
also when gtkradiant run the engine, it put a commandline parameter with the map name, it would be awsomne that the template program could read the parameter and load the appropriate .bsp file, inside the filesystem.
smbogan

.bsp usage

Post by smbogan »

I appologize if this question is somewhere else on the forums, but the search feature seems not to be working for me. I'm curious if the bsp format is a proprietary format. In otherwords, does a person developing a game for commercial use need to get permission from someone to use this format commercially?

Thanks,
smbogan
smbogan

Post by smbogan »

Nevermind, search started working again (probably was me), and I've found the answer.

Thanks anyway
Mecharius

Thanks

Post by Mecharius »

Nice tutorial afecelis... I am a bit of beginner in terms of map making, c++, irrlicht and Newton :)

I have one question though - it there can't be any 'leaks' in the .map file, does this mean that you can't create terrain maps? I've noticed that the Quake3 Irrlicht example has a map with an open roof!

A bit about what I'm doing - I'm basically searching for the best way to render realistic terrain - a mountain. I have both .x files and height maps working but height maps don't seem to provide enough resolution for what I'm after (terrain is stepped instead of sloping) and I'm not 100% happy with the texturing of .x files.