Huge terrain / landspace render

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
vasekkraka

Huge terrain / landspace render

Post by vasekkraka »

Hello,

maybe simple question. I need render huge terrain. For performance reason it's divided into chunks/blocks and loaded continously.

But how large blocks should be given the number of triangle and size of texture?

For example one block in blender have dimension width/height 900/900 and 32K triangles and texture 4096px*4096px. Is the combination applied or exaggerated?

How many triangles can be rendered on average household computer? With 45+ FPS?

Thanks for your ideas :)
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Re: Huge terrain / landspace render

Post by Cube_ »

an average household computer includes your grandma's 20 year old computer without a dedicated gpu.

An average household computer is not what you should target, gamers don't use them - rather you should target an average gamer pc and to find that out I use the data collected by the steam hardware survey - find something in that performance bracket and then test.

There's no real rule of thumb where you can run x triangles on y gpu - it's too dependent on the performance of your code which is why simply testing it on target hardware is the best option (I base my target off of whatever machine I have for testing)
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
hendu

Re: Huge terrain / landspace render

Post by hendu »

Check Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... .29_Series

The guidelines for the last models that had non-unified shaders should apply decently to common integrated units today.