Who is everybody?

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
viejodani

Post by viejodani »

ent1ty wrote:
viejodani wrote:I make games in Unity3D for a company and I want to use Irrlicht when I go independent
He wore a white bandanna that said freedom now!
I tried many engines, from free indie versions to demos to open source. And Irrlicht suits my needs better to make games and 3D applications.

Although I have Panda3D for quick prototyping, :P
-- Never lose your sense of wonder --
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

viejodani wrote:
ent1ty wrote:
viejodani wrote:I make games in Unity3D for a company and I want to use Irrlicht when I go independent
He wore a white bandanna that said freedom now!
I tried many engines, from free indie versions to demos to open source. And Irrlicht suits my needs better to make games and 3D applications.

Although I have Panda3D for quick prototyping, :P
Funny, I use irrlicht for quick prototyping :D I guess it's just a matter of what you're familiar with
viejodani

Post by viejodani »

Radikalizm wrote: Funny, I use irrlicht for quick prototyping :D I guess it's just a matter of what you're familiar with
True.

I use Panda3D because of the python language and has all libraries integrated. So it's very fast for me to set up something. Then I move to Irrlicht to work on the real game with the libraries.

I will stop using panda once I create my game engine using Irrlicht
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

I'm certainly happy you chose Irrlicht... but I'm still curious - what prevents you to use Panda3D also for the real game?
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
viejodani

Post by viejodani »

CuteAlien wrote:I'm certainly happy you chose Irrlicht... but I'm still curious - what prevents you to use Panda3D also for the real game?
not to troll about Panda3D, but I ran into frustration when I was scaling up from a prototype to a real game. Many roadblocks and stuff that should have worked as "advertised" needed many workarounds.
ChaiRuiPeng
Location: Somewhere in the clouds.. drinking pink lemonade and sunshine..

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

viejodani wrote:
CuteAlien wrote:I'm certainly happy you chose Irrlicht... but I'm still curious - what prevents you to use Panda3D also for the real game?
not to troll about Panda3D, but I ran into frustration when I was scaling up from a prototype to a real game. Many roadblocks and stuff that should have worked as "advertised" needed many workarounds.
i think there are quite a few commercial games that "use" panda3d, but you see the thing is many of those companies do not use panda3d as-is out of the box. i am sure they make their own optimizations and modifications.
ent1ty wrote: success is a matter of concentration and desire
Butler Lampson wrote: all problems in Computer Science can be solved by another level of indirection
at a cost measure in computer resources ;)
viejodani

Post by viejodani »

ChaiRuiPeng wrote:
i think there are quite a few commercial games that "use" panda3d, but you see the thing is many of those companies do not use panda3d as-is out of the box. i am sure they make their own optimizations and modifications.
Or they use C++ instead of Python to code the game. on C++ you have more freedom and faster execution. But the code is not as friendly in C++ as Irrlicht is

you might have limited debugging in c++ with Panda by default so you resort to other stuff.

from Panda documentation in c++:
On Windows, compiling using g++ will not work
You must set your new project to "Release" mode. This is absolutely necessary, because the version of Panda that's provided for download on this website is also built in "Release" mode, and in MSVS, you can't mix-and-match Release and Debug projects, especially if both of them are C++.

If you attempt to build your code in "Debug" mode, everything may appear to build correctly, but when you attempt to run the program, it will crash in mysterious ways.
for some it may not be important, but for others it's a big deal
LizardGamer

Post by LizardGamer »

Hi, my name is Alexander
I'm currently in year 11 of high school in Australia
Languages going to learn: Java, C++, (and maybe squirrel or something else)

I'm here in the Irrlicht community because I'm quite a picky person.
HerrAlmanack

Post by HerrAlmanack »

gotter, hi I am just working on simple games. With full irrlicht. Great engineS! :D :wink:
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Re: Who is everybody?

Post by Cube_ »

First of all, I am aware of how old this topic is. I don't care. (in other words: ban me if you want... still going to post in this topic)

My name is Andreas and I am 16 years old
my first computers (got em at the same time) was a macintosh plus and another mac (dun remember model) I was multitasking even back then!
some time later I got a (custom built) piece of garbage (current opinion) with a Pentium pro processor and a voodoo graphics card (or was that the other one.... meh... could double check if anyone is interested ^^*)
Well anyway, back to topic!
On that piece of garbage I started programming, back then I learnt (some) BASIC (this was 200x.... before -05... definetley not after...)
But back then I found it boring so I stopped....
well anyway... back in 08 I got into modding games (OoT, MM, SM64 and so on) well, then I was more or less forced to learn assembly... so I did (the N64 runs a MIPS R3400i processor for those who care.)
and some time between that and now I learnt VB.net and then C++ (indeed. a very strange order of learning!) which is my current language

above that I know html,(some) php, javascript and lua

(Intel vs AMD)
my preferred brand is AMD.

(Nvidia vs AMD/ATI Radeon)
AMD/ATI Radeon

(FPS vs sandbox)
Sandbox

(OpenGL vs D3D)
OpenGL

and well that probably everything that is important in this context
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
bmarquis

Post by bmarquis »

Hey, guys. My name is Brandon. I'm here to learn the engine and finish life goals. I hope I get to talk to you, and I hope you all have great days.
kklouzal

Post by kklouzal »

Kyle J Klouzal
I go by KKlouzal
According to google I have my own Island.
My last name is pronounced Cloze-All, like, close all the doors.

I've been intrigued with electricity and how it's transferred between electronics using cables ever since I was born.
Moved onto computers and then into networking.
Networking is my holy grail.

I started 'programming' with HTML, onto PHP, then dabbled with DarkBasic into DarkGDK with C++ and now am with Irrlicht and C++
I'm a very logical thinker, Can get from point A to point D with some robust problem solving, my ideas are crazy but they work!

I plan to stay with Irrlicht and hope it incorporates more into the engine in the future! I love where it is and where its going.
I start many projects which end up never getting completed, although i've been learning to self-manage and the project i'm currently working on I will see it through to the end if it kills me!

Thanks for reading my story and as always I would be nothing without the help of my peers, you all are most appreciated!
Dream Big Or Go Home.
Help Me Help You.
luke83

Post by luke83 »

Hello,
I am Luke83, i am a Noob to writing programming but at work i spend a lot of time Looking at different types of code trying to make sense of what the Programmer was doing so i can make small changes to the script or to liaise with the IT departments on what i need added. I Have been using 2D CAD for many years and after developing a interest for doing basic graphic mods and Map building for Openxcom i started thinking about what i could create in 3d , also it appears my employer has a interest in me heading down this path also ( with SOldiworks and Inventor) so i better start learning ( starting course next year). As such , i started playing with blender 2 months ago in my free time but i still couldn't understand how my simply mesh could be, coloured, loading into a game and interacted with, this is where Irrlicht comes in, already after reading / trailing some of the tutorials i can now start to see the " BIG PICTURE" and now wish to "Cut and Paste" together a small Application to Display my models in a 3d world and interact with them..... Please be ready for some Noob questions :D
migizi

Post by migizi »

BOOM intro time lol

Name: You can call me Migizi or Alan.
Location: Fargo North Dakota USA (No the movie is not how things are here.)
Programming knowledge: Java, C#, C/C++, VB(But I'm ashamed to know it, damn school teaching me it), HTML (But who doesn't), Javascript
Frameworks: Asp.NET MVC 3/4, jQuery, KendoUI, some Qt, learning Wt.
Game Related Knowledge: BS CS focused in Game Software Development, Some work in Unity3d. I was using another engine before this (commercial one I hold a license for) but the community was a bunch of butts so I left lol.
OS Knowledge: Win & Linux (I use Linux as my main OS at home and work, it is also my target platform for anything I make)

Currently working on: I'm going through and learning as much about OpenGL as I can, more knowledge is always better. Once that is complete I'm going to work on moving what I was working in my previous engine over to irrlicht. I'm still gathering a list of other frameworks/libraries I'll need.

Audio Library: I'm looking at openal.
Physics: I'm looking at bullet
Networking: Not sure what do there yet, I have experience with raknet from using Unity3d.

I'm not sure what other libraries I may want to use.

If you have questions let me know, I'm also in the IRC room a lot :D
newsuperyoshi

Post by newsuperyoshi »

Hey, doods!
Name: Ian Watters
Nickname: Newsuperyoshi or NSY
Languages Known: VBasic, C++, Java, Binary, HTML, JavaScript, CSS, and some Assembly Language.
Story: When I was ten, I was exploring the Internet, I saw a video on VBasic programing, I learned it and soon after had my first 'Hello World', soon after, I began to learn C++, it sorta snowballed to here. Now I own my own software company with a heavy focus on Games, the Irr Engine was used to create our first engine.