Ouzel engine

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
elvman

Ouzel engine

Post by elvman »

Hello! As you maybe know, I have been developing games with Irrlicht for some time (10 years already :O). I have switched to 2D games a few years ago and I experimented with Irrlicht and cocos2d-x a lot in 2D field. As I weren't satisfied with none of them (lack of platform support, architecture problems etc.), I decided to write my own 2D engine. So here is my 2D engine named "Ouzel" on Github. I have been working on it for a bit more than 7 months and have made one game with it – The Bear Slayer (available on Greenlight). So please feel free to try my engine, fork it and give me your suggestions. Thanks!

Gif from the Bear Slayer:
Last edited by elvman on Sat May 28, 2016 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ouzel – 2D game engine
Realistic water node
REDDemon
Developer

Re: Ouzel engine

Post by REDDemon »

Pretty cool, just looking at the repository now. I'll add my more thoughts later.

EDIT:

Have you considered doing dependency injecton using a proper framework instead of using a singleton of SharedEngine? (in example the renderer could be automatically injected instead of retrieving it from sharedEngine, anyway your solution avoid the cost of having 1 extra member stored inside the class) nice code base by the way, very polished and SOLID, liked it and starred. :).
elvman

Post by elvman »

Thanks! :) I planned to do the dependency injection at first, but hey, how many engine instances will you have at once? :) And as you mentioned, it would add additional field in every class and would make using the engine more complicated. Also most of the "engines" (including Unreal Engine 4) use singleton pattern, so I am ok with that.
Ouzel – 2D game engine
Realistic water node
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

Are forks wellcome? :)
elvman

Post by elvman »

Forks are always welcome :)
Ouzel – 2D game engine
Realistic water node
chronologicaldot
Competition winner

Post by chronologicaldot »

Excellent! Does it support non-POT textures?
elvman

Post by elvman »

Yes, it supports them, but non-POT texture mip-mapping is disabled for OpenGL ES, because most of the ES hardware does not support them.
Ouzel – 2D game engine
Realistic water node
elvman

Post by elvman »

Starting from v.0.17, Ouzel engine supports Android platforms. So now the supported platforms are: Windows, OS X, Linux, iOS, tvOS and Android.
Ouzel – 2D game engine
Realistic water node
elvman

Post by elvman »

A lot of work has been done and now Ouzel engine also supports wav file playback, texture filtering, v-sync, NEON, SSE and has a Raspberry Pi support.
Ouzel – 2D game engine
Realistic water node
elvman

Post by elvman »

Just released a version 0.24 of the Ouzel engine. A lot has been done since the previous releases, texture filtering, v-sync, sound engine (XAudio2, OpenAL, OpenSL ES backends), UTF-8 text rendering, MSAA, empty (NONE) video and audio drivers, touch support on Windows and lots of optimizations

Also the engine now supports Emscripten target so it can be run in your browser (see the samples here: http://www.ouzelengine.org/samples/).

You can also join the Ouzel Discord chat if you want to talk some technical stuff: https://discord.gg/4sWuJE8
Ouzel – 2D game engine
Realistic water node