Introduction

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
Systemerror

Introduction

Post by Systemerror »

I just thought that it would be polite to say hi and introduce myself, and I can thus also get to know a few of you.

I started game programming (in particual interest with AI and Gameplay programming) with DirectX a while ago, but frankly got sick or the rediculouse amount of code one had to do, and the cryptic look (hungarian notations) to get something simple done... I then used the "Dark GDK" Which works as a middleware engine on-top of Direct X 9.0 and VC++ 9.0 express, while that was good, you just lose too much functionality/flexibillity - <link removed> that is my first 2D level/game with DarkGDK (lol);

And this pretty much brings me where I am today, just downloaded the irrlicht 1.4.1, irredit, and irrKlang and am impressed thus far, I will use the AI and Physics engine I coded with it, but it looks really good so "kudos to the developers".

I hope I can learn and share knowledge with you guys and maybe make some new friends alonge the way, OK that's a long enough intro I reccon.
Last edited by Systemerror on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-System error
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Hmm, d3dx9_36.dll not found. I've got a stack of other d3dx9_xx.dlls though. I'll update my DX runtime and see if it magically appears.

Hello, by the way. ;)

[update]
I'd recommend getting 1.4.2, as it contains bugfixes to the bugfixes in 1.4.1. Better yet, just checkout the SVN trunk and build that, as it has some new features.

[update again]
Yup, d3dx9_36.dll was in the updated DX runtime. So much for MS's versioning.

Why does Haggis have a Polish accent?
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Systemerror

Post by Systemerror »

Hey, yeah a few people have the that problem with the dll, I will be sure to realease it with any other releases in future, conversley, I wont be working with darkGDK anymore, still I will be with Direct X as irrlicht will be working in-top of it (Well I'll just be sure to give the the "Install DirectX this time?" option.

Hey man, what you say about Haggis!

lol, that was my lame attempt to do a Scottish accent (I'm from manchester so you can understand why it sounds so crap :P) but I tried and I think it gives the game a little humoure (especially when you go through the screen) agree??

Actually, I think my gf thought I was going nutts as when I did that, I was sat at my comp with a mic doing all of these voices, lol - she's still with me.
-System error