Job Offer

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
LunaRebirth

Job Offer

Post by LunaRebirth »

I started at a small software development internship job at the beginning of January. I love the work because I love programming. It's a semester-renewal internship where I'll find out next week if I move onto the summer internship program (he already told me I'm likely to move on).

However, today I got contacted by a large company that set me up for 2 summer internships, one for software development and the other for mobile development.

I'm a big believer in getting experience in order to move up the industrial field. As a 19yr old, it would be great to have 2 internships in software development before I turn 20.

The chances that my job now will move onto after summer is likely (but I don't know for sure) a higher chance than this summer internship, and I mostly think that because the internship is named a "summer internship".

The summer internship pays roughly the same amount I'm getting now (well, $.50 more per hour).

I live in a large city, so I don't think I would have trouble finding another job after summer, though there is the possiblity that I could have trouble, and I'm living on my own so I don't know that I want to risk it.

So basically my question is...
To take the summer internship with a less chance of keeping the job, but get more experience in the field while I'm young.
Or.
To not take the job, stay where I'm at, and possibly (not sure) have it extend to after summer.

Confused on what I should do
REDDemon
Developer

Re: Job Offer

Post by REDDemon »

Try to see if your current position can turn into a job, you could ask politely to your current boss you'd like to be hired immediatly(after internship ended). If yes then why going on with another internship?. If not, then there's almost no reason to renew the internship in the small company and avoid the big company. Being immediatly hired after a internship is a good point for the resume. It is hard to find nice places to work in, it is up to you if you want to exchance extra money for more stressfull positions afterall the decision is yours. Do not take my words as the truth since I'm not that expert with employers and hiring process.
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
LunaRebirth

Post by LunaRebirth »

REDDemon wrote:Try to see if your current position can turn into a job, you could ask politely to your current boss you'd like to be hired immediatly(after internship ended).
I think the reason it's an internship is cause I'm in college and during the school year I can't work full time. As I'm only a sophomore, it's very likely I won't be able to get a programming job that's not an internship anywhere.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm taking your words into account for my decision
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

Ah, you are still a student :D forget my words. I thought you were just looking for a job
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

You could write a 3d coin-throwing simulator to make the decision for you :-)
My choice is usually to go for the project which interests me more. But did not always turn out that well, so not really sure if it beats the coin throwing method.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
LunaRebirth

Post by LunaRebirth »

I'm thinking I'll ask a few questions during the interview on Friday to make my decision. Such as:

Can the position extend to after summer?

Can I work 20hrs over the summer at the summer intern, and 20 at the job I'm at right now?
If not, are there any part time development positions?

Would I be able to work at the summer intern over the summer, then come back to my job after summer? (Risky question for my current job I might not ask)

I'm still thinking up questions.
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys
bervis

Post by bervis »

I wonder what did you choose after all?