Question about model pricing

About finding textures, models, soundeffects, music and whatever else your game needs. Can contain advertisements from websites selling that stuff.
npc

Question about model pricing

Post by npc »

Hi all,

If one wanted 6 to 8 human custom (i.e. not stock) character models, fully textured, not super-high poly, but not too simplistic either, and they can to a certain degree be variations of one basic model - how much would that typically run? And what about rigging, or getting them animated in one way or another? And they would, of course, need to be compatible with Irrlicht.

I'm aware that the answer will depend on a large number of other requirements, but even some rough ballpark numbers would be greatly helpful! Or perhaps someone has experiences that you could share.

Cheers,

npc
Mel
Competition winner

Re: Question about model pricing

Post by Mel »

In two words? GET READY...

Modelling isn't a trivial task, and requires quite a lot of time. 6 to 8 models fully textured is quite a job. And if you want them animated also, that adds to the pack. Currently, the online shops that sell those models for reasonable prices (25 US$ for a single model isn't that expensive actually) do so because they expect to sell many of those models, but their production cost is actually high.

If you want a custom model for your own usage, think of 80 US$ to 100 US$ each one. And the animations apart. Besides that, the compatibility with Irrlicht also depends on the export process you use, although there are tools (free tools also) that may help you in that matter. the ASSIMP library is free, and loads and converts many 3D formats, including those used by Irrlicht.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
CuteAlien
Admin

Re: Question about model pricing

Post by CuteAlien »

Hm, I would rather expected a few hundred $ for a custom human model. At least when it's textured. But really depends on the quality. You get somewhat generic stuff obviously faster. But anything below 100$ means an artist has to be able to make it in less than half a day - and there's not much you get done in such little time. While if you want a realistic model looking good and adapted to the engine + animations then an artist might spend a few weeks on that.

So basially - unless you have at least some 4-digit sum to spend (and 1000€ won't get you far) I'd recommend searching through the online shops and get ready made models. You likely have to experiment around and can expect wasting some money as well for stuff that won't work as expected. And you will likely need some time until you get it working well in the engine.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm