Character studio with irrlicht

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
yasi

Character studio with irrlicht

Post by yasi »

hi all;

I have two questions:

1 - will there is be support for character studio and motion capture files inthe future?

2 - How do i have my application run at a constant FPS? for example 30, regaurdless of the computer specs? of course, assumming it can delever even more FPS.

thanl alot for the help
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

1) I don't know character studio. So I don't know if there will be support for it. If there exists a exporter for .x files (and there are lots of exporters for the .x file format), then there will be support. :)

2) There is no need to let you application run at constant FPS, is it? But if you need to (it is better not to), do it like lots of tutorials descripe, for example on gamedev.net
Astinus

Post by Astinus »

irrlicht wrote:1) I don't know character studio. So I don't know if there will be support for it. If there exists a exporter for .x files (and there are lots of exporters for the .x file format), then there will be support. :)
CS is a plug in for 3ds Max, with the plug-in you can animate model (human ect.) it's very usefull... but I don't know if, when you export a model with 3ds format, you have also the CS information...
yasi

Post by yasi »

hi all;

the reason why i need to have the game at constant speed, is that when i run the game on another computer, lets say faster than mine, then i do not want the things to animate faster than it would on a slower computer.

the other thing is that character studio is a plug-in for 3d studio max. it is a biped sekelaton that you fit it in a character mesh and then attach them togather so that when move the bones in the biped the charcter responds accourdingly. you can export the biped information in an .x file. x files can only take regular 3ds max bones which is a bite harder to animate with. Charcater studio makes animating a character alot easier.

thanks for a the help

Post by Guest »

yasi wrote: the reason why i need to have the game at constant speed, is that when i run the game on another computer, lets say faster than mine, then i do not want the things to animate faster than it would on a slower computer.
Then you are doing something wrong. This is a often made mistake of people who are new to game programming. Its better do make your animation playback routine independent of the speed of the pc. All animations in Irrlicht are already.

Post by Guest »

Hi there;

You maybe right, but take the camera movement in the engine tech demo and compare it to the FPS. Notice that when the FPS drops to about 10-15 the camera movement it buggy and not smooth. However, when its at 30 the camera is running very smooth. what i meant is not the charcater animation itsself. i meant the all things moving around in the world

thanks