Howto #1: Seamless World in Irrlicht

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
saigumi

Howto #1: Seamless World in Irrlicht

Post by saigumi »

My First Howto in doing game based programming in Irrlicht: How to create a seamless landblock-based world.

Please leave comments, discuss any improvements, or any other ideas here.

http://www.saigumi.net/archives/000021.html
Crud, how do I do this again?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

That`s a nice howto. After I read it, an idea came to me how to make the terrain a little bit more interesting:
  • Save a parameter for each tile, storing how much hills there are, and create hills. :)
  • Instead of creating a hillplanemesh, you could load another mesh, for example a modeled mesh. A plane with trees or a house on it.
But it`s nice at it is. Should I link your site from irrlicht.sf.net? :)
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Actually, this is possible. Before I went with the hillplane mesh, we had loaded multiple quake bsps in a tile formation. Making BSPs have the nasty effect that they want to be completely enclosed when you compile them. I never looked for a way, but I would hope that this is turn-offable. But a Milkshape/3DS would work as well.

We decided not to go that route this time because we are minimalist bastards. We plan on creating our entire proof of concept game with 7 meshes and a lot of texture swapping. (Player/Monster Cube, Tree, Bush, Flat Ground, House, Sword, Shield) Having a mesh and set of textures for each landblock isn't much of an overhead system-wise, it was just more than the two of us want to throw at BlockQuest.

In the end, we assign children to each tile and then change parentage when the landblocks move. I figure that would make a good #2, as soon as I get some of the quirks fixed.

It would be great if you added a link to Saigumi.net. The image that we currently have for links is http://www.saigumi.net/archives/bqlogo.gif
Crud, how do I do this again?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

saigumi wrote:...because we are minimalist bastards. We plan on creating our entire proof of concept game with 7 meshes and a lot of texture swapping.
Hehe, sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to see something of your game some time. :)

I'll add a link to saigumi.net at the next update of the homepage.