Why do you reinvent the wheel?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
CoLSoN

Why do you reinvent the wheel?

Post by CoLSoN »

First of all, good job with the engine! Growing fast and good. I'm already doing things with it.

I think you'll add collision detection on next release. Why can't you add instead support for ODE or Tokamak free physics engine? ODE supports the collision detection OpCode lib, and tokamak is a very good physics and collision detection library, but not opensource. I think it will be a great feature and very useful having support for this.
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

I thought support for Tokamak and any other library is already in there.

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php? ... _id=253762
Crud, how do I do this again?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

CoLSoN wrote:Why can't you add instead support for ODE or Tokamak free physics engine?
As I said in the thread which saigumi posted, I don't think it is a bad idea to use ODE or Tokamak. They are good working, specialized physic engines and have already been used in lots of games. Later, I will write an example on how to use one of them (i think ODE) with the engine.
What I am currently implementing is simple collision detection and very simple response, no physics at all. The two main reasons for that are:
  • Irrlichts cool.det. will be as easy to use at the rest of the engine.
  • You wont need to learn and study another API, just use the built in functions if the Irrlicht Engine.
  • There will be no more dependencies to other libraries.
CoLSoN

ok

Post by CoLSoN »

ok, thanks for the reply