Irrlicht for high polycount viewport?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Dariusz

Irrlicht for high polycount viewport?

Post by Dariusz »

Hey

I'm doing an research as to what are the available options for creating a viewport for a 3d application. Something like max/maya/cinema4d etc. I recently got recommended to try this engine. So I was wondering is Irr able to handle 100 million polygons of data & 40k objects?

Regards
Dariusz
devsh
Competition winner

Re: Irrlicht for high polycount viewport?

Post by devsh »

100 million will be hard for any GPU, hardware-wise.

You better invest a lot into culling algorithms...

Are the 40k objects identical or different? are they textured? how are they different? is there any way to put them in the same object/mesh without having to re-combine them every frame (they can move separately, no problem... just other changes might be unacceptable)?

Do you just want to display the polygons like a CAD program or do you need bells&whistles like real lighting, Anti-Aliasing, SSAO etc.?

If the answer to the above is no, then you need to go with a GPU-driven scene graph using draw-indirect, there are not many engines that expose or support such a thing or if they do they will add significant overheads like filling up a G-Buffer that you won't need (Unreal and CryEngine). But you definitely cannot go with vanilla Irrlicht.
Here's what you'd need:
https://github.com/nvpro-samples/gl_occlusion_culling
Dariusz

Re: Irrlicht for high polycount viewport?

Post by Dariusz »

Hey

100 milion is something of a top end. I guess average will be 50-75.

Different objects, no textures simple shader just to see the shape.

Just display data, maybe AA for quick mask rendering? Also to be able to render 20x20k image of flat color - like selection mask ?

I'm after 3d viewport like maya/max/blender/etc/etc. No need all the editing functionality. Just need to match camera to render viewport & be able to select/cast ray normal check etc.