Future of shader-pipeline branch

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Nadro

Future of shader-pipeline branch

Post by Nadro »

Hello,

In upcoming weeks we'll drop support for shader-pipeline branch. In upcoming days a new branch will be created where a new FVF solution will be available. Of course we'll also move D3D11 from this branch to a new one. Why this change? Current FVF has little too high overhead and not enough buffers flexibility. I post little more informations soon. It'll be easier to me to create new branch based on trunk, than modify shader-pipeline and merge changes from trunk to it.

Best regards,
Patryk
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
Granyte

Re: Future of shader-pipeline branch

Post by Granyte »

Well can i still make my dx11 patches on top of the shader-pipeline branch?
because i won't be able to move to a half working branch for a little while.
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Yes, you can prepare a patch for shader-pipeline. Move stuff from shader-pipeline to fvf branch should be easy.
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
Joe_R

Post by Joe_R »

Hello! What is the current status of this? In the last month or so I've spent my time experimenting with Irrlicht (trunk version) and HLSL shaders (I implemented cascaded shadow mapping, reflections, basic per-pixel shading, etc). I would like to step to DirectX 11 territory :) . Do you recommend the shader-pipeline branch, or is this new branch you mentionded available somewhere?
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

and this is the perfect time to wait for the 0.2 release of BAWIrrlicht
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

New "shader-pipeline" isn't ready yet, I'll be back to Irrlicht development at this month after a long inactivity.
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

Is there anything new on this?

because currently it seem like i'm stranded on on an increasingly diverging version of irrlicht
The_Glitch
Competition winner

Post by The_Glitch »

I'm in the same boat as you I've been messing around with the trunk version with cubemaps but I'm waiting for shader pipeline to be updated.

Last time I heard from Nadro he has made changes but they have not been published yet.
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

Where can someone checkout the new FVF branch?
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

It's not yet available, I'm still gaining experience in Vulkan API (new FVF branch should fit perfectly for Vulkan, Metal and D3D12). I want to prepare really flexible buffers with proper controllers/descriptors. The same buffer class should be used by both meshes and textures, just controllers/descriptors will be different of course. There will be no problem to prepare one huge buffer (big memory block eg. with vertices) and use them with different meshes. D3D9 and OpenGL 2.x (ES2.0 too) will be removed in upcoming branch, only D3D11 + OpenGL 3.x or even 4.x will be available + of course OpenGL ES3.x. Thats why it takes so long.
The_Glitch
Competition winner

Post by The_Glitch »

Sounds great. Will I be able to use all the shaders I've made for d3d9 still?
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

somewhat like with the dx11 driver if you compile shaders with dx9 compatibility then they will run fine in dx11 and 12.

Also is there a repo for the said vulkan dx12 experimentations?
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

No, there is no public repo for this stuff yet (I need to clean a lot of stuff before send it to the public repo).