Screenshots for Irrlicht

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Mel
Competition winner

Re: Screenshots for Irrlicht

Post by Mel »

Vectrotek wrote:I mean this.. It looks like your specular does not shine "through the pillar" like this..

I was looking at more DOOM MMXVI movies on YouTube and found this..
You can clearly see the annoying persistence of the Specular Highlight
despite the Light Source being behind the Pillar..
(great job from ID though and one probably wouldn't notice it during this kind of game play)
XDDD i also notice those things ^^U the deferred renderer didn't hide the light source behind the pillar, as the room is partily open from two windows, so the portal makes visible the other end and the light leaks :P Anyway, DOOM screens look impressive.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

Cryengine has a more common-sense way of hiding such things, since light needs to shine on all not only lightmapped stuff (players)

You have custom volumes for each light for the deferred renderer, and instead of drawing a sphere you draw that... think of it like an inverse of a stencil shadow
Vectrotek
Competition winner

Post by Vectrotek »

Mmm.. Deferred rendering is very fast, but it does seem to have it's limitations. :|
(I know jack about deferred rendering)
Vectrotek
Competition winner

Post by Vectrotek »

devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

Thats targeting a platform which is 8-9 years old now, the concerns raised there are not really valid
Vectrotek
Competition winner

Post by Vectrotek »

Yes, and now you've got me spending all my time on deferred shading when I've got other things to do. :) .
Like I said I know Jack $#|t of deferred rendering but from what I've seen so far looks like its based
on screen space, much like SSAO where an approximation of real 3 dimensional space is emulated.
Now this is fine when you've got the Z Depth Buffer and the World Normals to work from.
But I see that what there is on Specular Shading under DR is quite limited.
It is possible to generate Diffuse and Specular for geometry when lights are hypothetically closer to the
viewer than a given imaginary plane (parallel to the screen quad or screen space plane) .
Now there is an amount of positive and negative depth available through the Z Buffer, but that
Z Buffer can offer no more depth domain than what is contained within such a grey pixel which by the
time it reaches the image memory is usually at best a 32 bit pixel.
With this limitation there simply is not enough depth to really do all the things you can do with vanilla geometric math.
I must read more when I get time.
Please correct me, and if possible give me some pointers as to where I would look for more info
on this.
Anyway, I'm playing around with nature scenes in which I'm working on "Splatting" A.K.A "Texture Mixing"
with an Irrlicht recompile that gives me 8 images. It uses working versions of HLSL and GLSL to do this and might just
solve the problem caused by using Vertex colours for mixing when doing geography with Active Lod such as the Irrlicht Terrain Node.
Last edited by Vectrotek on Tue May 17, 2016 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vectrotek
Competition winner

Post by Vectrotek »

On Deferred rendering, this was quite amusing
http://1080.plus/SSAO_and_Deferred_shad ... 5QWo.video
The_Glitch
Competition winner

Post by The_Glitch »

I've improved the specular greatly it uses the irradiance of the lightmaps to sample the incoming light so in the particular level theirs white and in some areas a bluish specular.
Vectrotek
Competition winner

Post by Vectrotek »

Cool!
The_Glitch
Competition winner

Post by The_Glitch »

Vectrotek
Competition winner

Post by Vectrotek »

Looks great! Is that "Bloom" on a Screen-Quad? If so, what resolution is it at?
The_Glitch
Competition winner

Post by The_Glitch »

The scene texture is 1024 and the blurred textures are 512.
Vectrotek
Competition winner

Post by Vectrotek »

I like it. I'm experimenting with "render to texture" to eventually get water reflection.
I know that I must somehow have a second camera that is mirrored on the plane but... Well, I'm working on it.
Any ideas?
The_Glitch
Competition winner

Post by The_Glitch »

Google planar reflections or water reflections you will find some that cover RTT methods. I choose dualP reflections as it takes two passes if you want real time reflections. Basically your using projected textures for the rendering of the reflection. Let me see....

Like this same concept except you would be using normals for water waves and ripples of whatever per pixel method you use.