CopperCube now on Steam Greenlight

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
niko
Site Admin

CopperCube now on Steam Greenlight

Post by niko »

CopperCube, the editor based on Irrlicht's first 3D editor irrEdit is now available for voting on Steam Greenlight. If it will be greenlit, we are able to put even more resources into the development of it, hoping also to refine the Irrlicht related functionality in it.

If you have a Steam account, please vote for Coppercube: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =327291665

Also, if you have any wishes for some Irrlicht related features, feel free to post them. I know there is much to be improved, because it recently only focussed on the game engine stuff in it, but it would be interesting to know the most wanted Irrlicht related stuff.
My blog
Why I don't have much time for this forum anymore: ambiera (sorry)
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Re: CopperCube now on Steam Greenlight

Post by Cube_ »

Sorry, I don't see much need for it seeing that there are a million and one projects like this, if I personally saw a need for it I'd probably get it but between blender, the commercial mapping tool I purchased (mainly as a toy that I then incorporated into my workflow), my own editor and C++ I don't really need it

The reason is mainly that I don't see any real features list anywhere.
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
AReichl

Post by AReichl »

NO NEED? - hah!

1.) a model created in an editor should look THE SAME when loading into Irrlicht (look at all the questions here which format to use for what purpose and some people give up allready at that stage [and maybe choose another engine]).

2.) in CopperCube we also have sound and physics. MAYBE it can be exported in such a way, that one can load the scene in Irrlicht and "connect" it to IrrKlang and a physics engine (Bullet?).

3.) if i am right, you can write shaders in CopperCube in JavaScript. I dont't know how this is converted/translated internally, but to me it sounds like an interesting approach to an "unified shading language" (kind of, hehe). Also MAYBE it would be possible to export them as HLSL and/or GLSL, OR (!) add this functionality into Irrlicht, so we could write shaders in JavaScript and internally they are converted to the target language (as the CG interface, which will be obsolete some time).

I would recommend to see this as a middle to long term opportunity. There will be Irrlicht 1.9 and we will have the shader-pipeline branch merged. If by THEN there is a tighter coupling between CopperCube and Irrlicht, thats fine for me.
AReichl

Post by AReichl »

Ups! - forget about point 3 - i misunderstood something - my fault.
Cube_
Location: 0x45 61 72 74 68 2c 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 73 6f 6c 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d

Post by Cube_ »

AReichl wrote:NO NEED? - hah!

1.) a model created in an editor should look THE SAME when loading into Irrlicht (look at all the questions here which format to use for what purpose and some people give up allready at that stage [and maybe choose another engine]).

2.) in CopperCube we also have sound and physics. MAYBE it can be exported in such a way, that one can load the scene in Irrlicht and "connect" it to IrrKlang and a physics engine (Bullet?).

3.) if i am right, you can write shaders in CopperCube in JavaScript. I dont't know how this is converted/translated internally, but to me it sounds like an interesting approach to an "unified shading language" (kind of, hehe). Also MAYBE it would be possible to export them as HLSL and/or GLSL, OR (!) add this functionality into Irrlicht, so we could write shaders in JavaScript and internally they are converted to the target language (as the CG interface, which will be obsolete some time).

I would recommend to see this as a middle to long term opportunity. There will be Irrlicht 1.9 and we will have the shader-pipeline branch merged. If by THEN there is a tighter coupling between CopperCube and Irrlicht, thats fine for me.

my editor is irrlicht based and primarily for placing map entities (without scripting or programming them, that's not something I personally want in my workflow as I do that in my IDE) and thus what I see is what the final outcome is.
As for my dedicated modeling program that's blender and while I cannot get perfectly identical results a good estimate for what it'll look in irrlicht with EMT_LIGHTING set to false is by using a shadeless material with only a diffuse texture (and maybe a normal map) applied, anyting else is either shaders or post-pro anyway and is thus something I'll add once the game is at a point where polish becomes relevant.

As for the other points, I don't use irrlklang and I don't see why I would need my map editor to have physics enabled, that's something I control from source code anyway.

Again, I will not feel comfortable pressing thumbs up unless I can see any use for it (and rightfully so as that's the point of greenlight, to let products people care for/need through and to not let through bad things or things people don't need or want) so a features list would be rather nice.
"this is not the bottleneck you are looking for"
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

@aaammmsterdddam: You could think of it as a thank you for creating the engine and vote for it. And who knows - if Niko has more money he might find time to improve export for Irrlicht when necessary.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

@aaammmsterdddam: I see a feature list on the steam page and the web site. What do you mean by "real feature list"?

If you did not know, its Niko that started the Irrlicht project long ago. I already voted on my part. If you can use Irrlicht its because of Niko and the devs that helped maintain it.
chronologicaldot
Competition winner

Post by chronologicaldot »

Wow! niko returns! Hi niko!