Support for paged geometry scene node

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Mel
Competition winner

Support for paged geometry scene node

Post by Mel »

Anyone interested in something the like? I am just curious about rendering huge amounts of geometry, driven by the camera and stored in files, how friendly would be Irrlicht for something the like? how would work triangle selectors with such scene nodes? how would be posible to stream this kind of data from the hard drive? What would be the best approach to create such files?

Is it worth to have such type of nodes in the engine or is it better to have them separate in the application?
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
hendu

Re: Support for paged geometry scene node

Post by hendu »

I would leave that kind of things to the app. Optimal HD streaming is OS- and game-dependant anyway.
kklouzal

Post by kklouzal »

Support for very large, paged geometry from the hard disk or other sources (networking) is a fantastic idea. Two things come to mind when you mention this.
1. http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... =6&t=39598 Mesh Combiner by Lonesome Ducky, the last thing he mentions is the ability to add/remove/edit specific scene nodes after they have been added into the larger combined mesh.
2. PolyVox has this thing called a File Pager that pages block information in and out of memory via your hard disk, or you can write a custom compressor to page in and out of any source.

Needless to say I am very interested in something like that, my application has hundreds of scene nodes that are being displayed at one time, and that's just scene nodes that deal with the world geometry.
Dream Big Or Go Home.
Help Me Help You.
clarks

Post by clarks »

hendu wrote:I would leave that kind of things to the app. Optimal HD streaming is OS- and game-dependant anyway.
I understand what your saying here, but providing some kind of basic functionality would not hurt ( people who do not want to spend time making their own like myself ). This will be a welcome addition to the irrlicht engine. For the most part, every other rendering engine has this in some form. Openscenegraph, G3D, and I believe Ogre has it too. This kind of functionality would push irrlicht to the next level. I would love to see this :D