I´m new at Irrlicht...

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
TheBeginner

I´m new at Irrlicht...

Post by TheBeginner »

Hy,

first sorry for my bad English...

I have 2 Questions:

1. Supports the Engine large Outdoore Szenes like in the game Gothic 2 or Morrowind??? (www.gothic.de)

2. Is it possible to make a Game with Irrlicht like Gothic ???

Thanks...

PS: I´m a German and i think that Irrlicht is a great Name for a Engine...
niko
Site Admin

Re: I´m new at Irrlicht...

Post by niko »

TheBeginner wrote: 1. Supports the Engine large Outdoore Szenes like in the game Gothic 2 or Morrowind??? (www.gothic.de)
Sure, especially like Gothic2. I think they simply loaded the huge worlds (there were only two) completely into memory and used some simple culling algorithm, which displayed only parts of the map which was near the camera. This is definitely already possible with the Irrlicht Engine, as it is.
TheBeginner wrote: 2. Is it possible to make a Game with Irrlicht like Gothic ???
I never played Gothic1, but I played through Gothic2, (what a cool game!). I think since version 0.4 of Irrlicht, everything is in for createing a game like Gothic 2: Dynamic light, the right culling algorithms, a collision detection system perfect for a first or third person 3d game. And, of cource the particle system for magic spells. :wink: Yes, as far as I can see, Irrlicht is perfect for creating a game like Gothic2.