Proper instancing support

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Nadro

Re: Proper instancing support

Post by Nadro »

We hope to release v1.9 in this summer. In this release we concentrate mainly on mobile stuff. After v1.9 we'll switch to shader-pipeline thats why in my opinion it's better to working with features like instancing in this branch.
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
hendu

Post by hendu »

Ok. Until then, interested people know where to get this ;)
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Well, maybe instancing could go into 1.10 then :-)
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

It depends on which number will we use for next Irrlicht version :)
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
Granyte

Post by Granyte »

I have an hardware instancing patch for dx that I think leaves no features behind it's built on the FVF branch because this was the only way to allow the user to send any data he wishes to the shader through vertex buffers the patch is not ready for user release (broke some mesh loaders) if some one would like to get it working on GL that could allow me to expose any needed feature for OGL
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Hi, Sorry for posting that late after you got the patches out. Been trying to apply it to my Irrlicht distribution (got 4 patches that applied ok).

But I'm unable to call this from the scene manager:

Code: Select all

smgr->addInstancedMeshSceneNode(m);
[/b]

I think I'm missing some patches.
Here are the list of current affected files by your 4 patches:
  • include/EDriverFeatures.h
    source/Irrlicht/COpenGLExtensionHandler.cpp
    source/Irrlicht/COpenGLExtensionHandler.h
    include/EVertexTypes.h
    include/irrlicht.h
    source/Irrlicht/COpenGLDriver.cpp
    source/Irrlicht/COpenGLDriver.h
Your previous screenshot show that more files are modified...
hendu

Post by hendu »

As written in the first post at the patch tracker, the rest can be found in the linked github branch. SVN + incremental patches is a no-go.
christianclavet

I'm sorry Hendu. Checked your github branch and seen only an old Irrlicht 1.7.3 version there without your patched files (I see no traces of the instancing in the source, and in the scenemanager header)

I understand that you don't want to put more time on this. So I'll wait that they implement it directly in Irrlicht since there is no way I'll get it here. I was really interested by your version because it used a special scene node.
hendu

Post by hendu »

christianclavet

Ha! cool! I will try to make a diff and see the differences! Thank for the link!
EDIT: Done my best, for doing diffs with all the changes in the trunk version from 1.7.3 was overly complicated. My current project is on the trunk version. But this should not too bad to put this on 1.7.3
Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla »

Hello together,

Sorry to necro an old thread but unfortunately i got a problem with the Hardware instancing or i am doing something quite wrong. It seem to be impossible to do some RTTing on the instanced node. As soon as i apply the render target texture to the material of my node i am getting a segfault in smgr->drawAll(). If i debug it, the crash happens directly at the gl Call in the OpenGl driver class.

My idea was to do instancing of the realistic water node, so i built the instancing and the realistic water node into Irr 1.8.4 and tried to combine these together.