OpenGL Core Profile 3.2+

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
migizi

OpenGL Core Profile 3.2+

Post by migizi »

I've been looking through the SVN source trying to see if there is anything in the works about targeting the OGL Core Profile. I can't seem to find anything. Does that mean there isn't anything or I'm not seeing it?
hendu

Re: OpenGL Core Profile 3.2+

Post by hendu »

Nothing, AFAIK. It's GL 2.1 + extensions currently.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yes, Nadros branch is targeting OGL Core.
migizi

Post by migizi »

Which one? Ogl-es or shader-pipeline? When I look at the EDeviceTypes.h in both trunks neither of them seem to indicate anything about OGL 3.2 core profile.
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

OpenGL 3.x Core Profile driver will be part of Irrlicht 2.0. shader-pipeline branch will be used for OGL3.x commits (currently this branch already support FVF and D3D11).
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
migizi

Post by migizi »

Awesome, I can't wait. I'll have to keep an eye on the svn so I can start testing it out.
bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

Hrm, I never found this thread because when doing due diligence a few weeks ago, the forum search function told me that the world "opengl" is too common a term and I'd have to type something else to do a search. That's really annoying. Is there some way the forum search function can be made more sane? I understand eliminating "the" or "and" or something like that, but "opengl" is a valuable search term and should not be suppressed. I really thought you guys were probably blowing smoke about doing anything current with OpenGL, but instead I just couldn't find the posts.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

we made irr on OGL 3.1 core profile

it now consists of 4 E_MATERIAL_TYPES and we pretty much broke every D3D driver (who the gently caress cares about DX)

we got some nice performance increases by dropping alpha testing (we were able to put the if-discard-statement right after the texture fetch in the shader)

most importantly we are able to roll out on crap intel drivers which dont support compatibility geometry shaders
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

currently sitting on an almost finished OGL 3.1 compliant rewrite (still using compatibility context, but shaders compile in core profiles).

Framerate is up by 15%
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

Holy poop, rewriting for ogl 3.1 is a major pain in the ass
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

OpenGL core profile will be available this month (in the worst case in january 2014). More information about it will be available soon. At this time OpenGL ES3 is almost complete.
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

i thought you put it off till irrlicht 2.0
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

No, it will be available since Irrlicht v1.9, anyway without FVF support and some other andvanced features (it will be available in v2.0).
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

awesome, I'll finish my GL 3.2 cleanup, merge in 1.8.1->1.8.2 changeset

and if you're done before me, then also merge 1.9

then we'll opensource our irrlicht branch
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Hi, It's a good thing that Irrlicht will update it`s drivers because we were really going in "LEGACY". Once we reach GL 3.x will it be hard to get to 4.x?

I've done some shaders tests with lots of radeon video cards, and it seem the support for "legacy" mode (aka opengl 2.x) is getting poorer, as there are rendering errors (base irrlicht=ok, using shaders=bad) on the newer cards (Radeon HD Serie 7000+). For me that`s a clear indication the new hardware might stop support for the old shader pipeline.

Just ordered this tool to create prototypes and it only work on OPENGL 4.x+. Nothing else: http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page ... owbanner=0. I was thinking at first the guy was crazy, but then looking when DX11 and OPENGL 4.x started to be supported from manufacturers since 4 years! (2010). I really don't think the guy is crazy now. The only one that's lagging a bit behind was INTEL and now they support it fully.

Perhaps in the future, Irrlicht should have 2 branch: put the current Irrlicht in a LEGACY branch (pre 2.0) and strip the old stuff when we get the new drivers (DX9, DX8, OPENGL2.0) and continue with the new pipeline (DX11 and GL 3.x->4.x). DX9 and DX8 were made from Windows XP and it's a dead system now...