About the window Irrlicht draws in

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Tope

About the window Irrlicht draws in

Post by Tope »

Hello.

I was looking into making a gui in windows and then make Irrlicht draw in only a part of that window but noticed Irrlicht always creates its own window to draw in. I know Irrlicht has its own gui but I think that's more suitable for in-game gui's whereas I was thinking of making more of an editor which could benefit from the more advanced gui-elements offered in the OS.

The question is more or less if there could be a way for the user to create a window for Irrlicht to draw in? Maybe it doesn't even have to be a window as long as it's a drawable surface. How about just passing a hwnd to Irrlicht, would that work?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Currently, that's not possible, but I also have thought about it. I think this is an important feature I will implement in the next version. Until then, you could Irrlicht let create the window, get the HWND of this window and add your gui objects to it. (In Windows this is possible, don't know about Linux). Another solution would be to have editor tool palette and other windows in a separate window. (You know Delphi? 8) )
Tope

Post by Tope »

Ah, thanks for the tip on separate windows! Never thought of that one. Only need to figure out window-docking and that shouldn't be too hard.

Nevertheless it's great to hear that this feature will be implemented.