Relative scene node transformations.

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Mel
Competition winner

Relative scene node transformations.

Post by Mel »

Something i have noticed while working with Irrlicht is that many times i find myself moving, scaling and rotating an object using a relative transformation, that is, i take the original value for the transform i want to modify, then i add a vector to it, and later, i set it with the proper method.

Wouldn't it be useful to have something like translate/rotate/Scale(vector3d v) methods where the result would be that the positon/rotation/scale is modified according to the current value of the transformation plus the provided vector?
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
Abraxas)

Re: Relative scene node transformations.

Post by Abraxas) »

I always make a dummy parent scene node for any node that's going to be rotating on 3 axis. Also, you can often to setrotation(getrotation + rotationspeed*frametimer). That's how I made variable-speed spinning rotors in my quad game.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

That is what i mean, couldn't you simply tell the node "rotate(rotationSpeed*frametimer);?

setRotation(getRotation...) is a bit redundant, for me, anyway
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
Abraxas)

Post by Abraxas) »

What you're describing is something like rotation += resultant, which does rotation = rotation + resultant anyway.

There is no way to change a value without reading a value, but I'm under the impression that a function like (getvalue) which reads the memory at a pointer location is EXTREMELY fast.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

it is the diference between 1 and 2 function calls. but for ease of use, it may come in handy.
Abraxas)

Post by Abraxas) »

I'm also under the impression that those type of function calls get inlined. If they don't, they should be.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

They are defined inside a header file, so they are "auto inlined"... Didn't think of that. Clever, very clever XD