Game Server Creator

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

Would you be interested in using a product such as this?

Yes
22%
No
56%
Maybe
22%

Total votes: 9

stevenp129

Game Server Creator

Post by stevenp129 »

The name of this thread certainly does not do the project justice :) i just used it to get people interested to view this topic. Anyways, now that your here, I would like to explain about my new project "RapidToolkit" or the RTK.

I'm looking for help debugging and testing a project before i release it. the project is free but does not belong to a public licence like the GPL, as this is proprietary software for my business, which im using to prevent recoding the server between games (we are designing some android games for google play)

anyways, regardless, if the community were to help, they would be able to use the software with irrlicht and in any project using irrlicht for completely free. also, we would plan to work on a plugin which enables support for marshalling custom irrlicht data types, as well as futher integration with the irrlicht api.

To the point

my business is developing some software for our for our game engine, which is basically a Cross-Platform application which is a modular async server, supporting both native plugins (C++ AND Java), and Scripted Plugins (based on JavaScript). the solution provides great add-on utilities, and a developer API.

the server runs as a daemon, providing a service that is basically a asynchronous udp/tcp server, using i/o completion ports and the thread pool.

the service is accessible via an api, which is currently supported by C++ and Java. This allows for a WIDE range of libraries to be incorporated into your solutions, and for programmable logic to be added to your application on top of the server layer at a native level.

the golden goose

the service and its api is also accessible via Scripts, which are written in JavaScript. The engine is based on ECMAScript, so the language is standards compliant, and is compiled at run time using a JIT compiler, to prevent sacrifice of speed.

scripts have access to native wrapped functions, as well as a set of API which includes access to the async server modal. the server framework and its classes are actually directly exposed to the scripting engine to provide a subset of features as powerfull as native code.

most importantly, rapidly prototyping and hybrid application development is EASY, due to the loosely typed object model and inheritance which JavaScript provides! also, users with knowledge of the binding process, can expose their own native plugins, and presumably their desired 3rd party C++/Java libraries, to the scripting engine as well.

some pre existing native plugins exist (or are planned*), such as a a Jobs module (like Chron-Jobs), or the Remote Terminal (a shell with direct access to the systems default shell (cmd/bash) as well as existing utilities provided by the RapidToolKit.

edit:
an important scheme of plugins i forgot to mention would be an easy to configure plugin which provides a later between the service and the relational database server of your choice (eg. mysql, etc). the plugin would provide api to the scripted interface. others would remote file comparison, md5/encryption/compression/etc support, and much more, also provided as plugins, and exposed to both native and scripted plugins via a subset of API.

In conclusion

I am just wondering if the community would have any use for a project like this, or if they would enjoy having a product like this for use at their disposal. all i would ask is to have some people critique the product, give their help where they can, and for others to download/test/use it within their solutions to help me discover any bugs/pitfalls/bottlenecks/anything that could go wrong in a program.

:) thank you for your time, and thank you for reading!

Please reply to this thread, PM me, and/or vote!
http://rapidwebs.org
stevenp129

Re: Game Server Creator

Post by stevenp129 »

just because somebody from another forum got confused i just would like to state that, we do not plan to actually work with the irrlicht sdk, nor is this product actually being sold at any time.

in actuality, we would like to open source it at some time, maybe after we use it as a backend for the game we are currently developing (for android, using java).

simply put, it is a server solution where you can create plugins and script it using real javascript, and it also comes with some other bells and whistles great for settings up a game server, such as mysql layers, chronjob emulation, remote terminal, etc,

we are not looking for a) any help design it , b) or to wrap irrlicht, let alone use irrlicht's code, in any way, shape or form.

the website is now preparing for its initial launch, and any time now, you will be able to find some good information on this project at our website http://rapidwebs.org

thanks for any input, whether its simply a vote or a posted reply. we are asking this question in some different communitys, simply because we want to release it as a project on the side apart from our games, but we have to make sure there is atleast some demand or interest in it, even a little. if its completely disregarded we will focus our efforts elsewhere.

thanks guys