irrlicht::audio interested?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
labidus

irrlicht::audio interested?

Post by labidus »

Hi I was looking for 3d engine, irrLicht seam very good, my question is about the sound.

I don't want to use a lib like irrKlang since you need to pay to use it for commercial project. I have worked a lot with audio, so I can contribute
and add a namespace irrlicht::audio with all the stuff need to work, at least something that load/ play streaming sound and play sound/3d sound
without the need of using external lib that are not opensource.

Just wanted to know if you are interested.

Also, do you use boost:: lib in your engine? I saw some sample of file management but you are not using boost::filesystem for parsing file on disk.

Sylvain
chronologicaldot
Competition winner

Re: irrlicht::audio interested?

Post by chronologicaldot »

Try this first:
http://www.portaudio.com/

As a programmer, I find it's easier to look alittle harder for free stuff other people have put together than writing everything from scratch myself. That's one of the many reasons I'm using irrlicht. While writing an audio library would be good for experience (and I have considered it), other people have already had the headache and are willing to share, thankfully.
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Hi I was looking for 3d engine, irrLicht seam very good, my question is about the sound.
labidus wrote:I don't want to use a lib like irrKlang since you need to pay to use it for commercial project. I have worked a lot with audio, so I can contribute
and add a namespace irrlicht::audio with all the stuff need to work, at least something that load/ play streaming sound and play sound/3d sound
without the need of using external lib that are not opensource.
Irrlicht doesn't need audio, it's a rendering engine (not a game engine!).
labidus wrote: Also, do you use boost:: lib in your engine? I saw some sample of file management but you are not using boost::filesystem for parsing file on disk.
No irrlicht doesn't use boost.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

We also have cAudio, which might fit your requirements better?! In case you still want to write a new audio engine, untegration into the core engine is probably not an option. But placing this into irrext, or developing it as a partner project just as all the physic engine wrappers and language wrappers is definitely possible.
And no, we don't use boost as it complicates the compilation process, and so far we could live without.