0.4 Issues

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
hearsedriver

0.4 Issues

Post by hearsedriver »

I experienced some oddities when I played around with the collision example and the examples in general. One thing that I find annoying is that the window does not recognize a focus loss. It keeps centering the mouse cursor even if the window is inactive. Another input issue is that the special fx example sometimes lags recognizing a "key up" event (e.g. the camera keeps moving forward for some frames although I released the "up" key). I can't believe that my box is too slow for the sample? (P4 2.4, Radeon 9500)
A sure bug is that I am able to climb straight walls (or at least one wall) in the collision demo. I uploaded some shots:
This is where I start
I hit the wall ...
... and keep climbing ...
... and climbing.
That's all for tonight, I'll dig deeper into it later.

Cheers.
matthias gall, lead programmer at sechsta sinn - email matthias@sechsta-sinn.de
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Matthias Gall wrote:One thing that I find annoying is that the window does not recognize a focus loss.

Good morning!:) You are right, the FPSCamera should check if the window is active. Would be easier. A workaround would be to add a IrrlichtDevice::isWindowActive() in the drawing loop.
Matthias Gall wrote: Another input issue is that the special fx example sometimes lags recognizing a "key up" event
I think this happens when the frame per second value is very low, the FPSCamera does not like it. Will fix this soon.
Matthias Gall wrote: A sure bug is that I am able to climb straight walls (or at least one wall) in the collision demo.
Oh, funny. :) Maybe this can be corrected by adjusting the values of speed of camera, gravity and accelerations. If not, another thing is, that the movement vector is calculated from camera position to look target, unlike in first person shooters, where the movement vector is always horizontal, unless the player jumps. I will take a look at this for next version.
Matthias Gall wrote:That's all for tonight, I'll dig deeper into it later.
Thanx for your report!
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

Hey Niko, just wanted to let you know that I'm able to climb every wall in the Collision demo. Just gotta look up and run at 'em. It's pretty cool cause I'm able to walk around the top of the castle.

Also, I've noticed that the shadows aren't working for me when I switch to OpenGL from DirectX8. They work fine in DirectX but sometimes seem a little slow and I've got a pretty fast machine. But they don't show up at all in OpenGL and as a matter of fact the room in the SpecialFX demo looks a little different in OpenGL. Some areas of the room will flash pitch black as the light revolves around, while in DirectX the light around the room changes much more fluidly.

And, in all examples when using OpenGL I get this warning message in the console after closing the program:
Warning: Could not release opengl dc.
And when using DirectX I get this warning message in the console:
Warning: DirectX8 present failed.

BTW I like the new fade in/fade out effect.
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

The reason why there are no shadows in OpenGL is, because I simple have not implemented them yet in OpenGL. And I'll change the gravity and velocity values a little bit for the next techdemo. I also know the 'present failed' and 'could not release OpenGL dc' bug, but it is not very dramatic, I'll fix it when I have time. :)
puh

Post by puh »

Strange thing with SpecialFX: in my working PC (GeForce2 MX400) I saw water effect, it was cool. But in home PC (Ti4200) water level seems was under the floor, so from inside the room I saw just plain floor. But when I "fly out" water became seen... What is it mean?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Hm, that's strange. (Again. *g*) No problems with other examples or demos on your home PC?
puh

Post by puh »

No. Or I just didn't notice...
I'll try to change parameters in code and recompile using OGL. Probably I'll fix the problem and feedback.
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

I saw the same effect as puh. The water appeared under the floor and was only visible after leaving the room. I just thought I needed to hit a button to raise the water level to see it, and didn't think about it as being a problem.

I did however create my own water tile and tested it in BlockQuest and it worked fine. It was just odd to see 1x1 tiles wobbling back and forth and looking at the sky in the cracks.

As for video specs:
Geforce FX 5900 Ultra - 45.23 drivers
DirectX 9.0a
Crud, how do I do this again?
puh

Post by puh »

saigumi, it's a long time I wonder to ask you send me your BlockQuest. I tried to follow instructions in your site, but with no success... Could you please send me (puh at vide point lv) .exe file?

Post by Guest »

HI ALL,

IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO CLIMB WALLS BUT CLIMB STAIRS, MAKE THE SLIDING VALUE TO 0.3 IN createCollisionResponseAnimator FUNTION.

WITH THIS VALUE, I CAN NOT CLIMB TO WALLS BUT CLIMB STAIRS.

SIYAMI
jonpry

Opengl shadows

Post by jonpry »

Any chance opengl shadows will work in version 0.4.1?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

I don't think so, but mabe in 0.5.